Aerovee oil Temps

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Aerovee oil Temps

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:58 pm

If you go with a top mounted oil cooler, you need this adapter plate:
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/car ... Oil+cooler

You also want to keep your current oil pump, the one with the red cover in your first post. Also know that if you go to a top mounted oil cooler, you will have to significantly modify your engine baffles.

Sonex has a good picture of the installation here:
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/car ... Oil+cooler

Also you should know that the cover with the AN fittings has to stay with that pump. The pump body is special and matches the ports in the cover. If you mix and match your covers and pumps you won't get oil flow.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby 429TB » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:48 pm

Bryan,

Thanks again. I'll do the wiring first like you said. Then if that doesn't fix it I'll swap the springs back to stock. And it that doesn't fix it I think I'll just disconnect the oil filter and only run the oil cooler. If that doesn't fix it .... top mount cooler it is ? Going to be alot of test flights coming up. Thanks for clarifying on the oil pump!

I re read thru your posts. How is your issues going ? It's odd to me the factory pushes the top mount cooler when so many of us seem to have cooling issues with it ? Or is that just my flawed observation ?
429TB

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:17 am

I'm just getting back home after a week away on vacation, so my fabrication has been paused. People here have had good luck with both the top and bottom mount oil cooler, so I think either is a viable option.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3722

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4230
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:13 am

429TB wrote:It's odd to me the factory pushes the top mount cooler when so many of us seem to have cooling issues with it ? Or is that just my flawed observation ?

I've used two AeroVee engines. Never had oil cooling problems with either. The first had a bottom mounted oil cooler.

The second has the top mounted oil cooler. Never saw temperatures above 190F or so. I used to only use the cooler in the summer and removed it over the winter months. The last three years I haven't used it at all. My oil temperatures are still below 200F or so.

When diagnosing oil temperatures (or any temperatures for that matter) I advise one important initial step: verify that the oil temperature probe is reading correctly and whatever display you're using in the cockpit is also reading correctly.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby 429TB » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:24 am

Mike,

Thanks for the input. I think I'll do exactly that. Do what Bryan suggested earlier and test the new and old oil temp sender. In the long run I may swap to the top mount anyway as the factory suggests it. Currently I'm dealing with a previous owner who put alot of time and effort into fixing the oil cooling issues that may not have been as big an issue as he thought. He put alot of parts on it that work for the ground vehicle application of the vw, but not so much for me so far.

Thanks again,

Chad
429TB

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:03 pm

429TB wrote:Mike,

Currently I'm dealing with a previous owner who put alot of time and effort into fixing the oil cooling issues that may not have been as big an issue as he thought. He put alot of parts on it that work for the ground vehicle application of the vw, but not so much for me so far.

Chad

All,

Sonex was brought in on this issue yesterday. We asked for photos and saw an AeroVee installation that strayed from anything we've ever recommend, including an add-on oil sump and an oil cooler mounted on the firewall where I can assure everyone no air was passing through it to help cool the oil. The airframe is carrying pounds of dead weight.

This is where all troubleshooting must begin. Does it match the factory recommendation? As the owner of the aircraft you must provide all details. Unfortunately, few second-hand owners check to see if what they purchased matches the factory documentation. Everyone offering advice should first ask, "Does it match the factory recommendation?' and "Have you contacted the factory?" Next, ask for photos. But what usually happens is people assume its built to the factory specifications and start offering advice based on one-off experiences. When one-off experience suggestions start to pile up, airplanes end up with a multitude of modifications and drift further and further from what works.

Kerry
(21 Years Supporting Sonex Products)

Sonex, LLC
SonexFactoryTech

Postby 429TB » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:51 pm

Thanks Kerry for the input!

I just want a safe flyable aircraft at the end of the day. As I am not the builder if this one I have an AandP assisting me. He and I are both learning alot on the forums... Thanks again !
429TB

Postby 429TB » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:49 pm

All,

Well I insulated the wire coming from the oil temp sender and ensured the RDAC had a dedicated griund and flew this am. Didn't see any changes in pressures. Could possibly have cut down on the rate at which the pressure changed though. I made one pattern and the temp hit 200 right away so I landed and checked for leaks.

After the engine cooled I swapped the oil pressure spring and control spring for oem. I wasn't sure what was in there honestly. I took off and flew 2 more patterns. This time the pressure was about 10 psi lower than the previous flight and the oil Temps never exceeded 170.

I wasn't able to fly longer or I would have. More testing to follow to insure I didn't have a fluke. Thanks for everyone's help so far, yall have been a good resource.

As for sonex, thanks for the quick response. I currently have the bottom mount cooler set up and will only swap to the top mount if I have issues after the next few flights.

Thanks again and have a good independence day!
429TB

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:16 am

Great news! Where did you get your OEM springs?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby 429TB » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:24 am

CB Performance. Searched OEM Oil Relief Spings. They had a kit. I wonder if they are the same as the ones sonex sells ? Kelly may answer that ?

I wasn't sure what was in my plane is why I swapped them. Being chrome in color I thought they wouldn't be OEM. Sure enough. Hot idle psi is around 20. Down from 30. Cruise rpm saw 40 to 45. WOT saw 5 to 52. Again, all down 10 to 12 psi from previous springs.
429TB

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee