Summer temperatures and cooling

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Summer temperatures and cooling

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:58 am

pfhoeycfi wrote:
In the final analysis what do you attribute your improvements to? Are the oem springs worth trying? Did you have to modify them? Curious can you replace the springs without draining the oil? I've had the oil drained each time I've pulled the springs and plungers.
Peter

Peter,
Hard to say for sure, but I suspect 75% springs and 25% airflow. For some reason I can't get my steady oil pressures below 60 psi. Someday when I have to overhaul it I'll investigate. So to compensate I stretched my original oil cooler bypass spring and that seemed to be the final thing that got me over the goal line. I think that for most installations those OEM springs should be good. Not sure why I had high oil pressures with the springs that came in my Aerovee kit. But if your pressures are good, then there is probably going to be no change.

It's an easy and cheap thing to try. You will lose a pint or so of oil, whatever is in the galleys above the plunger. And because of gravity that oil will go on your tools and hands. But overall it's not a bad job.

This morning I went out to fly a couple of loops and rolls. I climbed at 80kts straight to 6000', and topped out at 211F on the climb. Ambient was about 75F. For my acro flying I was in the low 200s and on the taxi back to the hangar my oil was 186. I feel like I won this one.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BRS » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:32 pm

Bryan hope you don't mind me tagging this onto your thread. Just didn't seem worthy of a new one.

OK, Summer is gone but I've still been fine tuning my Sonex-A w/Revmaster. The new Rotec MKII is amazing (not for this thread though) the other pesky item has been warmer cylinders than desired. FINALLY figured it out. Yes, uneven fuel distribution was part of it - solved. Still they were not where they should have been. Making the change pictured below made a considerable difference.

For the original installation that top plate was really just a safety wire holder to keep the bottom (not shown) plate in place. But it it is clear that most of the cooling air would sneak around the side instead of going through the fins. I was unsure how much difference this would make. Now I know, it makes a lot of difference.
Attachments
PhotoCollage_1700971407846.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:55 pm

Brock,
Good addition to the thread I think. Can you post a picture from a wider view? I think I know what I'm looking at, but not sure.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby BRS » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:41 pm

Here are some larger pictures...

So, here is the old Intercylinder Baffle on the top. Really it was installed to hold the safety wire for the baffle below the cylinders. It's fault is that the air is not forced through the cylinder fins.
Intercylinder_baff-old.jpg

I replaced the old with this newer version which does force the air through the fins. Not too that it is also wider (covers more fin). It is interesting that the AeroVee's / Lycoming doesn't wrap the cylinders yet Revmaster need it. The wrap is not shown in this pic.
Intercylinder_baff-new.jpg

Here is the template I used. I had cut a few of these and fitted them in place (just the paper) until it was right. Also note the old top baffle piece is on the lower right while the newer is in the upper right.
Intercylinder_baff-template.jpeg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:25 am

I'm curious how others have addressed the flashing on the empi heads, between the fins etc. Also if anyone has a pic to post of what they've done in this regard that would be great. I'm also wondering what the factory does...I put the question to them as well. My number 3 is still hotter than the others. It's manageable but I'd like to bring the temp down.
Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:38 am

Anything I could get with a needle file, I went after. It was not a lot.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Aerovee