Oil Return to Valve Cover

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Oil Return to Valve Cover

Postby sonex1084 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:56 pm

Hello AeroVee drivers. My Sonex has the original Oil/Air Separator installed, the slanted one shaped to fit the slanted firewall. I'm also using it as a catch can for oil that passes through the crankcase breather tube. After every flight I have to drain 2 to 4 ounces of oil from the separator. It works fine and is just a minor inconvenience. There is no water in the oil I drain. I've got a little over 100 flight time hours on the engine. I've been contemplating adding a return line to the valve cover on the right side of the engine about halfway down the backside of the cover. I mention that in case I can't attach a picture. Does anyone see a problem or potential issue with doing that? If the picture posts I can't figure out how to orient it correctly.

Thanks,
Matt
Attachments
Oil return.jpg
Matt McKee
Sgt USMC
SGT Raleigh Police Dept
FO GoJet Airlines
Retired Old Man
Sonex 1084
sonex1084

Re: Oil Return to Valve Cover

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:10 pm

Matt,
I routed mine to the top of the valve cover. I'm happy with it.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby sonex1084 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:00 pm

Thanks Bryan. I would rather have the line return to the top also. Unfortunately, my separator is placed in a bad position for that. I mounted it according to the Sonex instructions which places it lower on the firewall. They originally designed it to return oil to the oil sump plate. I just don't like that idea too much. I could change out my separator , but only if my planned location for the return line is a bad one. Have fun flying.
Matt McKee
Sgt USMC
SGT Raleigh Police Dept
FO GoJet Airlines
Retired Old Man
Sonex 1084
sonex1084

Postby mike.smith » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:36 pm

Mine also returns to the top of the valve cover:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 492&row=95
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Jerry09w » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:24 am

I have mine installed on the rear of the valve cover so the hose is downhill all the way from the seperator to the valve cover., never had a problem. I used an AN flair fitting so it is easy to remove for maintenance.
Jerry09w

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:38 pm

mike.smith wrote:Mine also returns to the top of the valve cover:

Clever idea on how to build an air-oil separator Mike! Do you know how much yours weighs? Mine is a bit heavy, somewhere over a pound.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby sonex1084 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:06 pm

Jerry09w wrote:I have mine installed on the rear of the valve cover so the hose is downhill all the way from the seperator to the valve cover., never had a problem. I used an AN flair fitting so it is easy to remove for maintenance.

Thanks Jerry. That is exactly what I intended to do unless there was a reason that I shouldn't. Since there doesn't appear to be a problem, I will continue on.

Thanks again,
Matt
Matt McKee
Sgt USMC
SGT Raleigh Police Dept
FO GoJet Airlines
Retired Old Man
Sonex 1084
sonex1084

Postby mike.smith » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:21 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
mike.smith wrote:Mine also returns to the top of the valve cover:

Clever idea on how to build an air-oil separator Mike! Do you know how much yours weighs? Mine is a bit heavy, somewhere over a pound.

It's just PVC pipe with some plastic scrub pad inside. It probably weighs a little more than your cell phone does. I got the idea from somebody's automobile page years ago. Here's one I found by Googling: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy ... an.244981/

Mine also goes to a catch-can in case it backs up or gets blocked. The catch-can also has a vent. I check the can at every annual, and have not found any oil in there.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Onex107 » Mon May 01, 2023 11:24 am

I didn't return mine to the valve cover, as per the Cessna guru Mike Bush?, because it contains acidic moisture. I used a pint Ball jar, calibrated in ounces. With the Ball jar lid you can remove the jar without removing the whole lid making it easy to clean and measure the output. I felt it would be a good idea to record the amount of blow by as an indication of the engine health rather than depending on the hard to read dip stick in the Aerovee engine. The oil blowby and usage in the Aerovee was really different than the Cessna O-200. A quart in 10 was the standard in the Continental where 10-12 ounces in 25 is normal in the Aerovee.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Aerovee