Throttle Cable End Play

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Throttle Cable End Play

Postby tps8903 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:37 am

Hello,

I have an ACS A-790 Black Knob Vernier Throttle. It has the threaded end, and a 8 degree offset swivel. It is clamped to the side of the old style AeroCarb with an aluminum shim to take up the space. The clamp is secure and there is no play in the clamp.

While adjusting the needle yesterday I noticed that there is some play in the threaded cable end. At idle it is fine because the slide is up against the idle set screw, however at all other settings he cable allows the slide to move back and forth about 1/16".

Is there normally some play in the end of these cables?

I suspect the suction on the slide is enough to stop the slide from moving back and forth when the engine is running as I haven't seen an uncommanded change of power when setting the AeroCarb up, or the movement is so small that it's not noticeable and "within tolerance".

It feels as thought the play is the slop in the drive screw in the actual vernier perhaps?

Thanks
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Re: Throttle Cable End Play

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:01 pm

I have a vernier mixture from ACS. Mine has similar play but it feels like the cable in the tube - it can shorten a little under compression.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Throttle Cable End Play

Postby tps8903 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:12 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I have a vernier mixture from ACS. Mine has similar play but it feels like the cable in the tube - it can shorten a little under compression.

Thanks. Appreciate the reply
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Return to Aerovee