Turbo Engine Oil Quantity

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Turbo Engine Oil Quantity

Postby tps8903 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:45 pm

Hello,

With the addition of a deep sump and spin on filter the Aerovee Turbo should take more than 2.75qt of oil.

How much oil are turbo users using? I currently have 3.5qt in mine and it's showing at the low oil line that existed pre turbo which was 2 qts.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Re: Turbo Engine Oil Quantity

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:38 pm

I don't have a turbo - but I do have an additional oil filtration system on an AeroVee.

To determine the additional volume of the system - I first calibrated the dipstick.
Then I added the filtration system and topped off the oil till it showed on the original marks.
I then knew the new volume of the system. Original plus top off.

My reasoning was that the engine pickup tube and pump expected to "see" the oil to be at the "normal" level - regardless of the system volume.

Accepting that the argument will breakdown if you are asking the system to pump through too fine a filter, causing back pressure and potentially trying to "lift" a greater weight of oil than it was designed to do - I reckoned it was close enough to work.

My "nominally" 2¾ quart system actually has a 3½ quarts of oil in it.

The larger volume is the one to report on the oil sample when sending out for analysis.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby tps8903 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:49 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:I don't have a turbo - but I do have an additional oil filtration system on an AeroVee.

To determine the additional volume of the system - I first calibrated the dipstick.
Then I added the filtration system and topped off the oil till it showed on the original marks.
I then knew the new volume of the system. Original plus top off.

My reasoning was that the engine pickup tube and pump expected to "see" the oil to be at the "normal" level - regardless of the system volume.

Accepting that the argument will breakdown if you are asking the system to pump through too fine a filter, causing back pressure and potentially trying to "lift" a greater weight of oil than it was designed to do - I reckoned it was close enough to work.

My "nominally" 2¾ quart system actually has a 3½ quarts of oil in it.

The larger volume is the one to report on the oil sample when sending out for analysis.

Thanks for the reply.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:04 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:I

I think if the first builder had calibrated the dipstick, he would be all set. If not, he needs to know the numbers.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby tps8903 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:55 pm

Answered my own question this week at my 5hr oil change. I had 0.5 qts of blow by in my oil separator, and the engine was still showing full on the stick. So we'll call it 3.5 qts with the spin on oil filter, top mount cooler and deep sump.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Central Florida
tps8903

Return to Aerovee