Aero Shell 20W50 used in Areovee (non-turbo)

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Aero Shell 20W50 used in Areovee (non-turbo)

Postby Weatherpilot » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:41 pm

Looking over the logs for my Aerovee on my new-to-me Sonex I see that the last couple of oil changes the previous owner serviced the engine with Aero Shell 20W50 oil. The reading I have done so far says we should use Valvoline VR-1 20W50 racing oil because it has zinc in it which is required for the VW based Aerovee motor. The previous owner just changed the oil before I got the airplane. Should I drain out the Aeroshell and start using the recommended oil?
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Re: Aero Shell 20W50 used in Areovee (non-turbo)

Postby mike.smith » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:30 pm

My understanding is aviation oils should not be used in a VW. The explanation I have heard (so take it for what it's worth) is that the molecules in aviation oils are larger than in something like the VR-1, so don't pass through the system as they should. And yes, you need the zinc. I think Sonex recommends something other than the VR-1, now, but I've been using it successfully for 8 years, so I haven't seen a reason to stop. So yes, I would drain the oil and start with something that is recommended, with zinc.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:29 am

Weatherpilot wrote:Looking over the logs for my Aerovee on my new-to-me Sonex I see that the last couple of oil changes the previous owner serviced the engine with Aero Shell 20W50 oil. The reading I have done so far says we should use Valvoline VR-1 20W50 racing oil because it has zinc in it which is required for the VW based Aerovee motor. The previous owner just changed the oil before I got the airplane. Should I drain out the Aeroshell and start using the recommended oil?

Absolutely change it - for the reasons Mike gives. Zinc on those tappets is vital and AeroShell does not have enough. The other recommended oil is Brad Penn Racing 1 20-50.

See page 60 of the manual:

http://www.aeroconversions.com/support/ ... Manual.pdf
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:34 am

Aerovee Service bulletins:
http://www.aeroconversions.com/support/aerovee_sb.html

ACV-SB-091616-2A

Approved Oils

Revision A: Updated 02/26/2020 with specific oil brand recommendations

Approved Oil Specifications for AeroVee Engines have changed in-light of current oil industry research with modern oil formulations that prohibit the use of Full-Synthetic oils with leaded aviation fuel. Full-Synthetic oils listed as approved in previous revisions of AeroVee documentation (Valvoline VR-1, 20w50, synthetic and Mobil 1, 15W-50) are no longer approved. Note that Synthetic-Blend oils may still be used.

Approved Break-In Oils Are:

Valvoline VR-1, 20w50, non-synthetic
Brad Penn Penn-Grade 1 Racing 20w50 (Partially Synthetic: Recommended for AeroVee Turbo)

Approved Post-Break-in Oils Are:

Valvoline VR-1, 20w50, non-synthetic
Brad Penn Penn-Grade 1 Racing 20w50 (Partially Synthetic: Recommended for AeroVee Turbo)

Any questions should be directed to AeroConversions Technical Support staff at: tech@aeroconversions.com
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Aerovee