new throttle quadrant question

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

new throttle quadrant question

Postby Johns » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:50 pm

Just installed left hand side quadrant, works/slides well but friction lock doesn"t seem to work. I screw that thing nice and tight and it still moves quite freely. I see only one friction washer, I 'm wondering if there supposed to be two?
Any thoughts? John
Johns

Re: new throttle quadrant question

Postby XenosN42 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:15 pm

Johns wrote:Just installed left hand side quadrant, works/slides well but friction lock doesn"t seem to work. I screw that thing nice and tight and it still moves quite freely. I see only one friction washer, I 'm wondering if there supposed to be two?
Any thoughts? John

Only one washer as shown on page 4 of this document: http://www.aeroconversions.com/support/instruction_sheets/Throttle_Quad_Install.pdf
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:58 pm

Johns wrote:Just installed left hand side quadrant, works/slides well but friction lock doesn"t seem to work. I screw that thing nice and tight and it still moves quite freely. I see only one friction washer, I 'm wondering if there supposed to be two?
Any thoughts? John

The leather one? Soak it in light oil and squeeze if out. Seems counterintuitive but works for me.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Johns » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:32 pm

Thanks Graeme, will try that!!
John
Johns

Postby builderflyer » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:09 pm

Tired of the continuous throttle "creep" to idle which is common on the 3300 engine version of the Sonex, I added a second leather washer on the opposite side of the lever........that and a custom lever made with a larger surface area beneath the washers. Now it's possible to "lock" the throttle to where it's difficult to move without first backing off the friction lock. Works great for cruising.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Johns » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:29 pm

Art, adding another washer is next on my list if the oil on washer trick doesn't work.
Good to know it worked for you!
John
Johns

Postby Johns » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Hey everyone, the new aeroinjector works well. Takes throttle good all the way up to 3200 rpms. But when at idle and I shut the fuel supply off, the rpms increase till it runs out of fuel. Maybe an adjustment on the injector? But it runs so well as is.
John
Johns

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:53 pm

Johns wrote:Hey everyone, the new aeroinjector works well. Takes throttle good all the way up to 3200 rpms. But when at idle and I shut the fuel supply off, the rpms increase till it runs out of fuel. Maybe an adjustment on the injector? But it runs so well as is.
John

It probably should. Mine does. I've always thought it's like a float carb test on a naturally aspirated small engine. Shut off fuel at idle - there should be a 25-50rpm rise before the engine stops if the mixture is correctly setup.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:22 pm

Johns wrote:Hey everyone, the new aeroinjector works well. Takes throttle good all the way up to 3200 rpms. But when at idle and I shut the fuel supply off, the rpms increase till it runs out of fuel. Maybe an adjustment on the injector? But it runs so well as is.
John

My engine does the same.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby flyingbear » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:49 am

RPM SHOULD increase just before it shuts off. That is because it is running rich at idle and then as the fuel reduces to zero it is running out of fuel and going lean- giving a brief increase in RPM.
Fly on.
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Next

Return to Aerovee