VDO 360 001

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: VDO 360 001

Postby Friesen5 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:23 pm

During the continuing journey with my engine, a Jabiru 2200, I replaced the vdo senders several times. There was talk on these forums of oil pressure pulses causing these sensors to fail. I then remotely mounted the sender using about a 16" hose, thinking the hose might dampen the pulses. It's mounted to the motor mount using adel clamps. The vdo sensor still failed after a length of time. Hence the choice to use the Swift sender.

I have a GRT engine monitor and it allows me to input the settings of the Swift sender. You can find the numbers on the Aircraft Spruce web site on the Swift sender. I needed to alter one of the settings to have the reading of 0 when the engine was not running. With most of the VDOs, my oil pressure read 54. With the Swift it reads 51.

There's a previous thread about this on Sonxbuilders.net. Concerns were expressed about the burst pressure of these senders. Alternates were suggested. I decided to get the Swift, thinking that the burst pressure margin was sufficient given the oil pressures I was seeing on a consistent basis.

Mervin Friesen
Sonex 122 C-FMNX
Jab 2200
500 hours
Friesen5

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:34 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I calibrated my sensor using stuff from the plumbing junk bin - basically built a female NPT to mate with the sender, and on the other side I adapted to an air collet. Fill up a tire with the pressure of your choice, check it, then put the air chuck on the sender adapter collet and check the tire pressure with your sender.

Like this:
Pressure transducer check.jpg
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:00 am