aerocarb vs. aeroinjector

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

aerocarb vs. aeroinjector

Postby Johns » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:36 pm

I have the older aerocarb and can not get the throttle to move freely while the engine is running. Am thinking of getting the aeroinjector and hopefully solve this issue.
From what I can see the injector is set up differently for the cables.

Anyone know if this will solve my problem. Hopefully someone has done this already with good results.

John
Johns

Re: aerocarb vs. aeroinjector

Postby Tnhelm » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:10 am

I had this problem with the aerocarb on a Jab engine which got worse with time to the point that the throttle couldn’t be advanced above idle after start. Suction on the aerocarb slide at idle was the culprit. Solution was to squirt WD40 onto the aerocarb slide and into the mixture needle adjustment hole. Not sure which location worked best but throttle worked smoothly after that for the few remaining ferry flights to California from Wisconsin. Not sure how long it will last without reapplication.
The permanent fix is the aeroinjector which has a pull open feature (rather than push open) and I think friction reducer surfaces. Rerouting throttle cable probably required. Kerry at Sonex can better explain details.
Tnhelm
OneX137
Tnhelm

Postby Johns » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:51 am

Thanks for your response. I was looking to for someone to verify the aeroinjector would work better. Have one other thing to try and if that doesn't work I will go with the injector. John
Johns

Postby rbarber » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:05 pm

I would not use just anything to lube the slide. Under the right conditions (like cold), it can make the problem worse. Take the Delrin wear plate out, and lightly skuff the slide surface. Then rub in some graphite powder. Rub it hard (snicker). The graphite will imbed in the Delrin, and will remain slippery even when really cold. Repeat once a year or so...

R.
rbarber

Return to Aerovee