Transfer an N number ?

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Transfer an N number ?

Postby pappas » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:32 pm

I am interested in keeping and using the N number from my, recently departed, Waiex on the RV7A I am building and should complete this year. Does anyone know what that process is? I have perused the FAA website but am not finding anything describing what I am trying to do.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Re: Transfer an N number ?

Postby BRS » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:10 pm

I've done this a few times but it's been awhile.

First thing you need to do is to do is to reserve your N-number. As I recall, your sonex is parted. You should send a letter to the registration branch and in the same letter report the aircraft as decommissioned/destroyed, and then tell them you would like to 'reserve' the tail number. I'm not sure if you need to pay anything for the decommissioning of the first plane but you will need to send a check for $5 in order to reserve back the registration number.

Once it's all said and done you then will receive a letter from the FAA stating the reservation. Once you have that, you can then use that letter when you decide to register the RV.

The process can take a very long time as paperwork just seems to sit around at the office. I've heard and have experienced much faster response time by sending your letter via fedEx or some other expedited form. It just seems to get their attention. Most important is to make sure you have all your ducks in a row as if there is one thing wrong in the paperwork (not the exact address, name, check) they will just send it back to you.

You can also sometimes get them on the phone and have them explain the process. I did this once. I was on hold for a very long time but when I did get someone, she was very helpful and able to walk me through the process.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Re: Transfer an N number ?

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:12 pm

hi lou, brock, all,
thanks for the reply brock, i will add that the cost is now $10, and the reserve is good for one year.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Return to Aerovee