aerovee vs revmaster

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

aerovee vs revmaster

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:07 pm

In searching out other VW engines I came across the Revmaster http://www.revmasteraviation.com/ and was a bit bowled over by the fact that it could be had fully assembled and tested for $200 more than the Aerovee and it is rated at 85HP for takeoff
http://www.sonexaircraft.com/engines/engines.html.

What am i missing here?For $200 more I get an engine that I just have to bolt on.Granted I will pay more for shipping from California. I can see some putting forth the fact that since you have to put the Aerovee together yourself it will be easier to rebuild.True but if you fly an average of 50 hrs /yr it could conceivably be 10 yrs before you have to tear it apart .How much will you remember?
At any rate I will await any opines forthcoming from this group as I will admit total ignorance about engines. :?
Last edited by Mike53 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Re: aerovee vs revmaster

Postby chris » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Interesting...I was just reading an article I found on sonextalk that compares vw engines. http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/article ... plants.asp
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Interesting article .I noticed that the article mentions a Hummel 2180-cc testrun engine for $5850 and keeping in mind the article is less than 1 year old I would expect that price to be almost the same now. http://www.hummelengines.com .That then would be two 2180cc engines assembled and tested for less than(Hummel)and $200 more than(revmaster) the Aerovee.
So I ask again "What am I missing in the big picture here :?: " Opinions anyone?
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:09 pm

My first concern would be "is there an engine mount?" and my second would be "how many Sonex are flying with this configuration?"

There has to be a catch somewhere....
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:41 pm

As of june 5/11 there have been 10 sonex listed with -VW other -in the powerplant column.Most of these will probably be Great lakes as the Revmaster R 2300 has only been around for a year but since some of these sonex listing "VW other" have been completed after this engine was made available it is quit conceivable that they would have a Revmaster installed.
As to the engine mount I don't think it would be a problem at all for either Company to supply you with a proper mount.
I have sent Revmaster an e-mail asking them if they would supply the e-mail address of sonex owners with there engine and a few other questions as well,such as how do you sell a fully assembled and tested engine for only $200 more than Sonex.
This is what competition is meant to do though.Thats how Japan gained dominance over the Big three and subsequently how they fought back .I'll put my Ford Escape up against any foreign car maker.
Suffice it to say I will have a couple years to decide.
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Here is a full write up by Pat Panzera of Contact magazine in the EAA Experimenter http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/article ... master.asp on the Revmaster R-2300.
Doesn't leave much to the imagination.
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Mike

Thank you for the link. Great write up - have to re-read it to absorb it all.

You've made me reconsider what engine to put in....luckily I have years to decide.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Mike53 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:Mike

Thank you for the link. Great write up - have to re-read it to absorb it all.

You've made me reconsider what engine to put in....luckily I have years to decide.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sonex could sell their Aerovee assembled and test run for around the same as Revmaster ?
In all fairness Revmaster is still selling the R-2300 at their introductory price $7200,but as far as I can find they have not announced any pending price increase yet.
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby Mike53 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 am

Here is the answer to my Revmaster query.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr Turrell,

Thank you for your interest in our R-2300 aircraft power plant. We just checked the Aero Vee website for their current pricing and are surprised to see the engine kit is now selling for $6995. I believe that earlier this year it was $6200. Revmaster has been in the VW automotive and aircraft business since 1959 and 90% of the engine components in the R-2300 are manufactured by our own company. The AeroVee people must rely on auto parts from the automotive market for their suppliers. Our $7200 price is an introductory price for the new R-2300 model established at the beginning of this year and will be increased soon.

The early shipments of R-2300 engines have gone go many different types of air frames and delivered around the world. We have orders for Sonex installations and we know of several R-2100 installations in Sonex.

Is the Onex engine mount the same as the original Sonex? The attach points were the same as our R-2100, R-2200 and the R-2300 so there is a good chance the Onex attach points are the same.

Any more questions, please let me know

Joe Horvath
Revmaster Aviation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next question is how much of an increase.
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby Andy Walker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 am

That's one of the nice things about using a VW conversion in the Sonex family...the engine mount from the factory will fit a wide variety of manufacturers' engines, so you can pick the one that suits you and you have the most faith in.
Andy Walker

Next

Return to Aerovee