MGL EGT and CHT probes installation

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

MGL EGT and CHT probes installation

Postby jcondon » Sat May 04, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm planing to use an MGL Enigma EFIS & RDAC VD 4 module. The RDAC VD 4 typically provides 2 channels for EGT and 2 for CHT. I think this is a pretty much standard configuration for AeroVee powered Sonex's. My question is; if only using 2 EGT probes on the 4 cylinder AeroVee, which cylinders are typically used or can the probes be installed further down the exhaust pipe to measure EGT for 2 cylinders, left and right bank. Also, for 2 CHT probes, which cylinders are preferred? I know I could go with the MGL 12 channel RDAC to provide additional EGT and CHT channels but is that really necessary? What are others doing with AeroVee and MGL instrumentation?
jcondon

Re: MGL EGT and CHT probes installation

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Well, most people will use the back two cylinders for CHT because the backs are almost universally hotter than the front two, so if you want to make sure you're not over temping the engine you'll want to monitor the hotter cylinders.

As for the EGTs, I would also recommend the back two cylinders for the same reason; they generally run hotter. You may be able to mount the probes down the pipe but you'll probably have trouble reading accurate numbers. I'd just stick with the normal locations and monitor the back two cylinders.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: MGL EGT and CHT probes installation

Postby jcondon » Sat May 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks Mike!

I'll go with your suggestions. I later remembered I plan to put a heat muff on one of the exhaust pipes so installing the EGT probe up near the cylinder head would probably be the best location. Not to concerned about getting an accurate EGT measurement since it varies so much depending on placement but I do want to be able to detect peaks for leaning purposes.
jcondon

Return to Aerovee