Stripped plug

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Stripped plug

Postby peter anson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

SonexN76ET wrote:I would recommend that you exercise caution in attempting to repairing the spark plug threads with anything other than the time-serts. This is not an area where you want to take risks. People have reported problems with helicoils and their spark plugs. Another tried some other repair and his engine spit out the spark plug in flight.

There is a time-sert tool in circulation with the members here that you can use or you can bring your heads to a machine shop to have it done.

Jake

OK, got to admit I have never used Time-serts, and they may be wonderful, but I have done plenty of thread repairs over the years using Helicoils or Recoils, which are just an Australian made equivalent, and I have never seen one fail. The only reason I can imagine is if they are not installed correctly.

Peter
peter anson

Postby mike.smith » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:33 am

peter anson wrote:OK, got to admit I have never used Time-serts, and they may be wonderful, but I have done plenty of thread repairs over the years using Helicoils or Recoils, which are just an Australian made equivalent, and I have never seen one fail. The only reason I can imagine is if they are not installed correctly.

Peter

The up-side to the Time-Serts is the ones we are using are made specifically for spark plug repairs. They create a new, flush seat, and are just about fool proof for installation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntiy8L97Nco
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-news-and-av ... rt-inserts
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby GWMotley » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 am

I too cracked a spark plug when using the original high torque values listed in the Aerovee assembly manual. Afterwards, I researched various spark plug manufacturers recommendations and found they suggested about half the value. I have used Heli coils and Timeserts. I believe that Peter is right and it is possible to have good results with helicoils but I think they require a higher skill set to get right. I believe Peter has the skill. That said, I know the Timeserts are much more expensive but I feel they offer a better chance for a higher first time sucesss rate and appear to be a much stronger repair in my humble opinion. I have also used Timeserts on the oil pressure NPT port at the front right side of the engine when I developed a leak and Timeserts even had a specifically marketed kit for it!
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Previous

Return to Aerovee