Magnetron Ignition Modules

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Magnetron Ignition Modules

Postby Stogie6 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm

So I am here now I am performing my first condition inspection and I discovered that the wiring to the bottom magnetron has been compromised by a hot exhaust pipe! How hard is it to change out with the engine still on the engine mount? I must replace due to the burn thru the insulation.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Re: Magnetron Ignition Modules

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 pm

On the Sonex airframe it was not too bad to change a Magnitron on the bottom while the engine is mounted. I would not expect a Onex would be much different. The only two challenges are: 1)accessing the nuts on the inside face of the Accessory Plate when you are reinstalling the Magnetron; and 2) Setting the correct gap between the Magnetron and the trigger. Other than those two tasks everything else is the same as when you installed them initially. The only difference in these two tasks is visual, finger, and tool access is a little more limited but doable. I would definitely attempt it before you decide to pull the engine.

You may need to loosen the intake manifold Y pipe and remove the AeroInjector for better access.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Sonex422 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 pm

A hemostat is very useful for this task. It is a good way to hold the tiny nut in position.

https://www.amazon.com/hemostat/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahemostat

Detlev
Detlev
SW Michigan

Sonex, first flight 2013
Standard Gear, Center Stick
Aerovee
I-Level 3AW driven dual I-Pad mini panel
Sonex422

Postby radfordc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 am

I also had the same thing happen. You can remove the spark plug wire from the ignition module. The wire is glued into the module and there is also a screw stud in the hole that the wire goes in. By forcefully twisting and pulling the old wire will come out...you may also need to dig out some glued in insulation. I replaced my wire with a Ford tractor spark plug wire that had a solid copper core. Bought a set of wires on Ebay....the tractor wires were the correct size to fit the hole in the module.
radfordc

Postby Stogie6 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks to all the advice as to the replacement task of my magnetrons...SUCCESS! After looking county-wide for a 7/32 Ignition Wrench (thanks Sears for having these) I began the task. Removed the intake manifold and aeroinjector. Had to figure out how to hold the ignition wrench with sausage fingers, spend time looking for the hex nut that decided to take up residence somewhere in the back of the flywheel, yada-yada-yada. Two well spent afternoons to get it correct. A little grinding on the top mag. Took apart and repositioned the shim, problem solved. Prop turns smoothly. The real test will be if it fires up as it use to. But for now, waiting on my K&N E3120 filter and reworking my fuel lines to include a fuel strainer (no gascolator). Then back to completing the condition inspection and continuing Phase I.
Hemostats were definitely a big help (Thanks for that tip).
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sat May 15, 2021 8:45 am

I'm curious as to the best way to connect a ground wire to the magnetron. I haven't found a female terminal that fits well as per the suggestion in the Sonex manual. Any ideas?
Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat May 15, 2021 10:07 am

I think I squeezed the female spade terminal with pliers a little bit. We also did the same thing on the B&S powered hovercraft we built.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pfhoeycfi » Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 am

I couldn't find a fast on terminal that would fit on the stud. I noticed there is a small threaded hole thru the top of core I'm wondering now if anyone has used that to ground the ignition module and if so what the thread size is. I want to avoid putting an eye terminal on the mounting screw ...getting that screw out and back in will be difficult.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby gammaxy » Mon May 17, 2021 10:57 am

My understanding is to disable the ignition, you must short the terminals of the internal low voltage coil together. One of those terminals is connected to the tab and the other is connected to the core, so whatever solution you use must involve the tab. I also crushed the terminal a bit to fit, but it isn't a super satisfying connection. I believe the coils include a female terminal already crimped to a wire--I imagine that one is the correct size.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby thomasjones42 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Just finished my second test flight yesterday and while my turbo engine seems to be running fine when I tested the mags at idle (turned off the 12V ignition) taxiing back to hangar, the engine died. Restarted immediately on 12V ignition. Tried another time with same result. Seems odd that both mags would apparently fail simultaneously but that appears to be the case or am I missing something. Anyone have any thoughts. I'll email Kerry on Monday.

Tom Jones
Onex 0133
Aerovee Turbo
thomasjones42

Next

Return to Aerovee