Magnetron Ignition Modules

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Magnetron Ignition Modules

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:45 pm

Thanks Graeme! I've ordered one of the magnetrons that you linked. I also harvested a wire from my bad magnetron and it is gluing in the replacement right now.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby bvolcko38 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:37 am

I reused the old terminals. Thrifty. I made the spark plug wires slightly longer so I could rout them to avoid the melting issue.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:21 pm

thomasjones42 wrote:Just finished my second test flight yesterday and while my turbo engine seems to be running fine when I tested the mags at idle (turned off the 12V ignition) taxiing back to hangar, the engine died. Restarted immediately on 12V ignition. Tried another time with same result. Seems odd that both mags would apparently fail simultaneously but that appears to be the case or am I missing something. Anyone have any thoughts. I'll email Kerry on Monday.

Tom Jones
Onex 0133
Aerovee Turbo

Test for sparks - are they even working at all? Or did the engine just serendipitously start on the electric mags anyway?
What happened with the mag check on the ground before flight?
Last edited by GraemeSmith on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:23 pm

Today Amazon tried to sell me even cheaper Mags - some as cheap as $17. For your delectation and choice:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0951Y6T67
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFPPZH6
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015MLUFG
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:50 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:Today Amazon tried to sell me even cheaper Mags - some as cheap as $17. For your delectation and choice:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0951Y6T67
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFPPZH6
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015MLUFG

I bought one of the ones from your first Amazon link - the Oregon 33-345. I thought the quality looked good compared to my other replacement mag.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby thomasjones42 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:56 am

Gramme,

This was a post from last summer. Magnetron problem was not consistent. At times seemed to be functioning fine. Sold the plane this spring. New buyer found the bottom mag had failed.

Tom Jones
thomasjones42

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:50 pm

Here is my solution to the melted magnetron wire - a double adel clamp on the Y pipe. I had actually done this a couple years ago on the other side but for some reason I thought this side was good.

double adel clamp.jpg

This is the old magnetron, and a wire from the bad magnetron. I made it about an inch longer.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby tps8903 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:47 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
GraemeSmith wrote:I bought one of the ones from your first Amazon link - the Oregon 33-345. I thought the quality looked good compared to my other replacement mag.

I was having an intermittent magnetron problem on e the engine got hot. By switching off the electric ignition I lost EGT on Cyl 2/4. I bought the Oregon 33-345 moduals off of Amazon. They were good quality. I bought two, but only replaced my top magnetron so far.

Took a test flight yesterday and ran flawlessly.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby tps8903 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:34 pm

thomasjones42 wrote:Just finished my second test flight yesterday and while my turbo engine seems to be running fine when I tested the mags at idle (turned off the 12V ignition) taxiing back to hangar, the engine died. Restarted immediately on 12V ignition. Tried another time with same result. Seems odd that both mags would apparently fail simultaneously but that appears to be the case or am I missing something. Anyone have any thoughts. I'll email Kerry on Monday.

Tom Jones
Onex 0133
Aerovee Turbo

Both of mine failed within about 40 hours on my Turbo. Initially they would only fail intermittently when they got hot, then they stopped functioning during ground run up.

I just swapped them both out for the Oregon part number in this post. Both now running great.

The old top magnetron looked fine, the bottom one had cracked and bulging epoxy on the coil. The copper wires were exposed. I think heat from the break in fried them. The unseasonably hot 105 F summee I'm sure didn't help.

Now that my engine is running cooler due to break in completion, I hope the new ones last longer than 40 hours.

I make a habit to ground check the ignition during run up, I then check them in flight at top of climb and before descent. That's how I found out they were failing when hot.

They were surprisingly easy to change. I had to remove the intake elbows for access to the top magnetron. Bottom has enough room to work around. I used a brass shim for spacing. So I needed a second set of hands. A steel shim would stick nicely to the magnet.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Previous

Return to Aerovee