I Love My AeroVee

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: I Love My AeroVee

Postby daleandee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi John,

Just wanted to say that you have a great looking airplane there! For those that haven't seen it:

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
171.9 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Postby John keith » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:44 am

Thanks Dale!
It has it's flaws but I am very happy with how it's turned out. Yours to, imagine it climbs pretty decent with a corvair.
John keith

Postby Warren Hall » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 pm

I recently aquired a Waiex and am on 10 hrs run in on new motor. Pressure is on 42 PSI, running Brad Penn oil and it has an oil cooler. I only seem to see 108 deg F oil temp, even after solid warm up and same in the air. Ambient is 55 deg F - should I be worried as its way under spec. I mainly keep cht's to spec temps for heat management.
Also should I stick with Brad Penn 20w 50 after run in.
Warren Hall

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Warren Hall wrote:I recently aquired a Waiex and am on 10 hrs run in on new motor. Pressure is on 42 PSI, running Brad Penn oil and it has an oil cooler. I only seem to see 108 deg F oil temp, even after solid warm up and same in the air. Ambient is 55 deg F - should I be worried as its way under spec. I mainly keep cht's to spec temps for heat management.
Also should I stick with Brad Penn 20w 50 after run in.

Your OP is good. 108F seems like it might be a sensor error. I only see temps like that in the dead of winter with full air running through the oil cooler. Which oil cooler do you have, top mount or bottom mount? Where is the OT sensor located? Is the OT gauge an analog device or digital? If digital, which one?

I run Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 Racing Motor Oil.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Warren Hall » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback.

I have lower sensor near the sump drain and MGL efis. I removed the sensor and checked - its reading maybe 15 deg F under - but otherwise working ok. Its winter here so am thinking of taping up the oil cooler inlet ( lower mount) and just taking out that airflow to get the temps up - when my ambient temps are low. We have also just installed iridium plugs.
Warren Hall

Postby bakerde36 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:32 am

Hi,
Make sure it is not reading in Celsius. I have the MGL E2 and I have it set To Fahrenheit but it shows in Celsius.
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Postby Warren Hall » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 am

I taped up the oil cooler with a 12mm hole in the front and took off for a winter flight. I kept the CHT's in check the whole time.

it got up to 100 deg C pretty easily, so landed and cut a larger hole - 32mm now and temps are around 80 degrees C.

Iridium spark plugs - seems like a bit more take off performance, I did have a high idle though on landing - higher oil temp or the plugs might be responsible for this.

Put in 1/2 a tank of 98 LL unleaded with the avgas - runs smoother than with straight avgas.

11 hrs now on aerovee 2.1 upgrade. it runs smoother upstairs now on one either ignition system - but a little rough on both.
I completed the flight on just mag 1, thinking of doing this on mag 2 next time. mag 2 is probably a fraction out - but its hard to know which way to move the magnet. The Mag drop on pre-take off check is under 50 rpm - so might leave it for now.

winter is killing my battery - does anyone have a light weight design for a jump starter for a sonex ?
Warren Hall

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Warren Hall wrote:winter is killing my battery - does anyone have a light weight design for a jump starter for a sonex ?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 069&row=54
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 070&row=53
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Onex107 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:34 am

I don't think the Aerovee is doing something it wasn't designed for. It's designed to produce a certain amount of HP and it does that when you ask it to. In a car it never operates over 30% of it's rated HP. Every airplane engine is asked to put out 100% for a short period of time and around 70% during cruise. It ain't gonna run 200 thousand miles like that. The certified engines are recommended for overhaul at 2000 hours and it's not unusual for them to need a "top" overhaul half was through. That's the equivalent of 70 K in a car. Those of you that like higher HP and can afford to buy it, more power to you. Every airplane performs better with more HP. You haven't spent much time in a C-120, C-140 where 200 ft/min is pretty good. The Aerovee is the most bang for the buck. If you are uncomfortable assembling the engine, all it takes is money to go another route. You just have to put your confidence in someone else to build it and who is going to do the maintenance when some thing major goes wrong. For 25 years I depended on an A&P to "garruntee" my engine was O.K. and when it shot me down it was because he missed a simple inspection that would have taken 15 minutes, and it cost me $ 4K to fix it, plus the $ 1K for his inspection. No more. I'm the master of my own fate now. No one, but no one knows more about that engine than I do, and it's performing like it was designed to do.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby tx_swordguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 pm

winter is killing my battery - does anyone have a light weight design for a jump starter for a sonex ?
Take a 10' extension cord. Cut the female side leaving 20ish " and attach the white and black conductors to the battery via crimped connectors. Now tie the remaining 20" up out of the way but where you can reach it through exhaust or wherever. Now take the 8' piece that still has the male end and attach some battery clamps to the white and black wires on the 8' piece. Now if you need to jump it or charge it fast just plug the male long end into the female end you have tucked inside and connect the clamps to a battery on a truck,lawn mower etc and charge, jump it
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee