Safety wire Aero carb with turbo?

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Safety wire Aero carb with turbo?

Postby Bruce593SX » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm

How did you safety wire the aero carb with the turbo installation. The only pictures I can find are with the standard intake which is easy...

The only two alternatives I can think of are wiring to the engine mount, or to a hose clamp on the intake tube, but then I would have to wire the intake tube to something..

Help! Pics the best!
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Re: Safety wire Aero carb with turbo?

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi Bruce,

A very simple and basic solution is just like you described; put an adel clamp or two on the engine mount tubes and then safety wire them to the aeroinjector. On mine, I ran the safety wire (actually I used thin strips of aluminum but wire would be lighter) from the bolts that hold the air filter assembly together to the adel clamps on the engine mount. Worked great!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby dirkverdonck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:43 am

Hi, I secured mine not with safety wire which looks a but amateurish.. but with a proper stainless steel cable cut to the correct length and running over the inlet tube and installed two AN3 bolts to secure the filter to the injector body. I presume a similar set up could be used with the turbo?
Dirk Onex 117
Attachments
Aeroinjector.JPG
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Rynoth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 am

I made a small bracket out of sheet aluminum, about 1/2" wide and 3-4 inches long I think. Bent a tab on one end and drilled a 3/16" hole. Slipped the tab under an air filter bolt, and attached the other end to an adel clamp on the engine mount.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi all,
Im not an A&P, but i believe that the best practice to safety wire the tbi/filter assembly would be to the engine, as its going to move around with the engine in the mounts. Securing it to a fixed structure like the engine mount would only put undue stresss on it, and may even hasten the result you want to avoid, i.e. Having the tbi come loose from the black hose connecting to the intake runners.
Others? Ideas?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby NWade » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm

dirkverdonck wrote:Hi, I secured mine not with safety wire which looks a but amateurish.. but with a proper stainless steel cable cut to the correct length and running over the inlet tube and installed two AN3 bolts to secure the filter to the injector body.

Dirk -

Do you have any sort of anti-chafing material between the cable and the intake tube? If not, I'd worry that the cable will slowly saw into your intake tube as the engine vibrates...

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Postby dirkverdonck » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:39 am

Hi Noel, I have some transparent hose over the cable.
Dirk
Onex 117
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Return to Aerovee