325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Another turbo service bulletin

Postby lutorm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Wow, that looks like a SAE J514 O-ring boss to AN flare adapter, which definitely call for an O-ring. On the other hand, they say it's 16mm to -6 AN, so it clearly can't be an SAE J514 fitting...

Googling a bit I found this at Parker Hannifin:
In Europe, primarily in Germany, the traditional metric parallel
thread form is used extensively to connect components in
hydraulic systems. This metric thread is designed to thread into
and seal in a female Metric parallel port conforming to ISO-
9974-1 (DIN-3852, Part 1). ... It is also important to note that with these
male metric threads, the seal occurs on the top face (spotface)
of the port, not in an O-ring gland or chamfer as in SAE and
ISO-6149 straight threads.
(my emphasis)

Sounds like a confusion about different fitting standards... :(

Is the turbo oil pump different from the non-turbo one? My NA Aerovee also has a similar AN adapter in that spot, going to the oil cooler.
lutorm

Postby NWade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:24 pm

lutorm - Yes, the Oil Pump for the Turbo is different and has different connectors. In fact, there are 3 or 4 different pumps that have been used on AeroVee and AeroVee turbo models over the last few years.

All -

I can provide clarification on this SB. In fact, it might have been an email from me to the factory that prompted this SB.

I was putting together the final parts of my AeroVee Turbo engine recently, and I noticed a discrepancy between the instructions that shipped with my engine kit and the current instructions... The current instructions mention a Crush Washer, placed between the screw-in fittings for the oil hoses and the oil pump housing itself. My kit did not contain any washers, and my (older) kit instructions didn't mention these crush washers at all.

So I pulled out all of the parts that are associated with this assembly and gave it a trial fitment. I immediately noticed that the fittings into the Turbo Oil Pump housing were relatively loose. This is because they're a metric thread and not an NPT fitting (so the threads don't form an interference fit).

I also noticed that the Earl's fitting that Sonex supplies with the engine kit has a small rubber O-ring on the fitting that sits down inside the oil pump. Based on the packaging that the Earl's fitting comes in, I believe this O-ring is intended to seat against a Power Steering pump orifice. But the part is being used differently in our application, and the O-ring does not seat against anything inside the oil pump. Therefore, the O-ring could easily slip off the fitting and get caught up in the Oil Pump gears, if you don't remove this O-ring before assembling these fittings onto the Turbo Oil Pump Housing.

My guess (pure speculation) is that some other fitting was initially being used for this Oil Pump Housing. But the Earl's part was either more-available or more-affordable,so they switched to that part. Somehow they missed the documentation about the O-ring, or didn't think about it before starting to supply it in the kits. :-/

Note: I spoke to Kerry on the phone this week, and I do still think their heart is in the right place. But the kit instructions & parts continue to be quickly-shifting sands.

--Noel
NWade

Postby marsolgp » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:13 pm

These Earls fittings were part of the early Turbo kits also..... Back in Dec 2014, when I summorized my turbo install, I mentioned these fittings and that the o-ring should be removed as it was not needed and may come off and foul the pump..... I think i even mentioned it to Tech at Sonex.

Re: Aerovee Turbo Kit
Postby marsolgp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:38 pm

Waiex 188 is now officially powered by a TurboVee. Installation completed yesterday and a quick run was done to check for leaks, etc. Needs a little carb adjustment and then high power run, but that will have to wait till weather clears….snow on ground. Tried to upload a couple photos but they were too big…. I'll try figure it out tomorrow.

It's a nice kit with a few small issues, but all in all went rather well. The exhaust system fit will try your patience, but stick with it, it will fit. My turbo needed both the compressor and turbine to be reclocked… not a big deal, loosen a couple bolts on the turbine side and rotate to desired position. The compressor side is held together with a big circlip, you'll need snap ring pliers and just compress it slightly and rotate housing, do not need to remove circlip. The turbo support bracket lower hole is too small for the bolt, up drill before you try installing the bolt…. I played with it for 20 minutes before I realized hole too small. The fittings that are to be installed in the new oil pump (P/N 991955ERL) have o-rings on them, they're not needed and could possibly fall off and fowl the pump…. remove them before installation. If you have the Sonex oil separator you'll need to purchase fittings to drain back into sump, they weren't included in my kit, but I had spares sitting around. And finally, I had a small issue with the LH intake elbow that goes from intake center section and manifold in LH head. I ended up making my own new one from the removed "Y" intake….. Tech at Aeroconversions is working on it. This may have just been a one off and only affected me, but be aware there could be a problem with fit. Good Luck to all you new Turbo Kit Installers.
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Cruise Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp