Temperature Balancing by Turning/Twisting the Carb

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Temperature Balancing by Turning/Twisting the Carb

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

rizzz wrote:And on that topic,

Here’s a recent learning I have to share, it may help others.
I recently did quite a bit of work on my engine including replacing the air filter on my AeroInjector.

When I went flying I noticed a serious imbalance in EGT’s left vs. right, well over 100 degrees C! The engine was also not running very well and I had to get the mixture setting just right to get it to run at all.
Obviously that flight wasn’t a very long one.

Comparing the data too older EGT data recorded during phase 1, it seemed EGT’s just went way lower than before on the left and way higher than usual on the right.
I had a serious mixture imbalance all of the sudden.

Because of all the work I had done on the engine it did not immediately come to me what the cause of this sudden problem was but to cut a long story short, it turned out to be the new air filter.
Once I replaced that again with another one all problems went away. Nothing looked obviously wrong with the bad one but I must admit I did not inspect it in detail, it must have had a tear or something which would perhaps “swirl” the air intake much more than usual and thus getting it pushed more towards one side than the other.

Anyway, this might be something to look at if you’re struggling with left/right EGT imbalance.

I may have done this inadvertently with my addition of fresh air induction. It goes into the air filter very asymmetrically.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Aerovee