Earthx for AeroVee

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Earthx for AeroVee

Postby rhw5548 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi Guys would like to know which EarthX Battery are putting in. I currently have a PC625, which is not holding a charge. ETX680 or ??
Plans Built SN #0243
MGL EFIS Electronics
Tri-Gear, Dual Controls
Todd's Canopy
Prince p-Tip Prop
Echo UAT (ASDB)
Jab 3300 A
FlyQ EFB
rhw5548

Re: Earthx for AeroVee

Postby mike.smith » Fri May 26, 2017 5:44 pm

rhw5548 wrote:Hi Guys would like to know which EarthX Battery are putting in. I currently have a PC625, which is not holding a charge. ETX680 or ??

I've had the ETX680 for a year now. Works great, hot or cold.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby GordonTurner » Fri May 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Isn't that ETX-680 a little overkill? It looks like the ETX-18F should do fine. What do you think?

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby mike.smith » Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Isn't that ETX-680 a little overkill? It looks like the ETX-18F should do fine. What do you think?

Gordon

From the web site, only the ETX - hundred series batteries should be used for aircraft, due to the BMF (battery management features).

http://earthxbatteries.com/product-cate ... l-aircraft

The ETX Hundred series -( ETX680C, ETX680, ETX900 and the ETX1200) are the only battery models recommended for your primary engine aircraft battery or backup battery. The battery management features, which have redundancy, included:
1- over discharge protection- if you leave your master key on, the battery will disconnect internally prior to cell damage (approximately when about 95% of the energy has been drained). You will need to charge the battery before use in this scenario.
2- over charge protection – if you have a voltage reading above 15.2V, your regulator has failed and you should take your alternator off line immediately to avoid damage to your electronics and possibly damage to the battery. See manual for details of this feature.
3- short circuit protection- up to 1000 amps
4- excessive cranking protection- if you are trying to start your engine continuously for a long period of time, the cells inside the battery will heat. The BMS will disconnect for approximately 90 seconds so the cells can cool off and not cause damage to the battery.
5- cell balancing technology built in
6- LED battery fault light indicator to alert user to the state of charge and state of health of the battery. The LED light will illuminate to let you know when there is a problem. This is a very important safety feature; be sure to connect it to your EFIS or LED light on your control panel.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby GordonTurner » Sat May 27, 2017 12:00 am

Thanks Mike,

But they both seem to have all those features except the led warning light. I think it said somewhere there is some redundancy in the circuitry also, but still the same protections. I plan to have two batteries so doubling the cost will make that really expensive. Very interested in this technology, but have to admit i still have some reservation.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Return to Aerovee