Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Postby rizzz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:50 pm

John Monnett wrote:Michael,

"John Monnett wrote:
that is the number one reason that at nearly 75 I am still involved at the heart of this endeavor but continue to marvel at armchair "experts" that have to express their opinions on this forum regardless of their knowledge, experience, agenda or just plain ignorance."

I am sorry you misunderstood my comments about a "hand full of posters". I believe you took it as a personal attack probably because it was awkwardly placed in my response post. I was trying to convey to you and the members of this group the frustration felt by myself and my team at Sonex about such posters described above that post with impunity. The comment should have been made in separate post so as to not confuse the issues.
In no way was this comment directed at you an accusal, a criticism of you, or a demeaning of your efforts and contributions. Of course you are a very valued and appreciated member of the Sonex family. I again apologize!
We will however, find a better way to test the fan than flying in foggy and rainy conditions. ;)

Thanks John,
I'm sorry this whole thing got as far out of hand as it did.
Happy we can move on :-)
Cheers,
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby DCASonex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 am

John, Mark,
Frustrating as it may be I am glad to see your participation in this forum. If the folks at Jabiru had paid attention to their customers, Jabiru engines would still be a major force in the market and there would have been no need or opportunity for CAMit. Now Jabiru is a minor player and with the loss of CAMit, they have also had to rebuild a production a facility from scratch. They at least have seemed to learn a bit from their fiasco, hope they do not soon forget.
David A. Sonex TD, CAMit 3300.
DCASonex

Postby rick9mjn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:01 pm

this is worth repeating;
John, Mark,
Frustrating as it may be I am glad to see your participation in this forum.
.......also thanks from me ,about your participation.
thanks again,good day ,rick
rick9mjn

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi john,
Thanks for the clarification from your posts. Thanks for recognizing the talents of this group.
Thanks for working diligently with your staff to come up with a fix for the turbo.
When i meet people from this group of sonex enthusiats, im amazed how sharp, smart, resourceful, knowledgable, talented they are.
Yes this is a discussion group. We all dont have to agree. We can agree to disagree. People pass on knowledge from their life experiences. And as always there is more way than one to accomplish something.
Please take rizz's(and pauls) suggestions to the fan type. (Best to use a auto radiator type ) . Otherwise the tribe will go crazy again. Emails, phone calls, tech support getting more gray hair. , RMA's , shipping fees, back ordered fans, more shipping fees, and planes sitting on the ground.
I apologize for not responding sooner. Been very busy.
Hi to all the sonex staff, and your lovely wife betty.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby markschaible » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Hello SonexBuilders.net!

Sonex Aircraft has begun flight testing of the new AeroVee Turbo Liquid Cooling System with great results. As promised, we are releasing the bill of materials and installation instructions for the system now, for those who wish to get started. We’ve received many requests since the release of our February 6th report to make this information available immediately, regardless of the amount of flight testing completed. Customers may use their own discretion regarding whether to install now or later after we collect more data, however, we are very pleased with the performance of the system thus-far and believe that the system has enough cooling capacity to be effective in hot summer weather. We hope to prove that with our data reports as the hot weather comes.

Also, many will be happy to hear that, in addition to other small refinements since our first report on the system, we are using a new waterproof and dustproof fan designed for under-the-hood automotive applications, yet still having light weight and low current draw.

See more details in today's report at: https://www.sonexaircraft.com/aeroveeturbo_update_030518/

--
Mark Schaible
General Manager
Sonex Aircraft, LLC
phone: 920-231-8297
fax: 920-426-8333
http://www.SonexAircraft.com
http://www.AeroConversions.com

Sales Info: sales@sonexaircraft.com
Orders: orders@sonexaircraft.com
Accounting: accounting@sonexaircraft.com
Tech Support: tech@sonexaircraft.com
markschaible

Postby kevinh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Cool beans Mark.

A few questions based on these initial instructions:

* For legacy airplanes it recommends mounting the radiator vertically on the left side of the engine mount. Why is this? Is it because there isn't enough space up at the top of the firewall because of the filler neck?
* For a vertical mounting what do you think of putting the vent holes on the left side of the cowl? It seems to me that the fan is providing virtually all of the cooling benefit (vs having the vents on the top and convection)
* Have you considered using the version of the VDO oil temp sender that also has the switch for the "idiot light" for oil pressure failure? It seems to me that that switch could be wired in series the the thermostat switch, allowing an installation that doesn't require a new switch or pilot actions to enable the fan on shutdown.

I've ordered most of the pieces and will start test fitting on my not yet flying plane. ;-)
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby John Monnett » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:08 am

kevinh wrote:Cool beans Mark.

A few questions based on these initial instructions:

* For legacy airplanes it recommends mounting the radiator vertically on the left side of the engine mount. Why is this? Is it because there isn't enough space up at the top of the firewall because of the filler neck?

* For a vertical mounting what do you think of putting the vent holes on the left side of the cowl? It seems to me that the fan is providing virtually all of the cooling benefit (vs having the vents on the top and convection)

* Have you considered using the version of the VDO oil temp sender that also has the switch for the "idiot light" for oil pressure failure? It seems to me that that switch could be wired in series the the thermostat switch, allowing an installation that doesn't require a new switch or pilot actions to enable the fan on shutdown.

I've ordered most of the pieces and will start test fitting on my not yet flying plane. ;-)

Good!
*The optimum location for the radiator is horizontal as we have it mounted in Red One but the filler neck on the legacy Sonex limits your options.
*The top mounted vents provide convection cooling for the turbine housing, I doubt side vents would be as good. Bonus is better CHT venting also.
*We have not considered installing any extra instruments. We want the system independent of the main electrical system.
John Monnett

Postby kevinh » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am

Sounds good. btw - for the VDO sensor I mispoke, installing this version of the VDO oil _pressure_ sensor (instead of the normal VDO sensor). This would allow wiring the oil pressure failure switch in series with the thermostat, to allow for a simpler installation and simpler pilot operation. Does this sound reasonable?

So: less than 7 psi oil pressure (i.e. engine probably off) + thermostat temp too high => turn on pump/fan.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Rynoth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 am

markschaible wrote:
Sonex Aircraft has begun flight testing of the new AeroVee Turbo Liquid Cooling System with great results. https://www.sonexaircraft.com/aeroveeturbo_update_030518/

Mark, can you give any insight as to how long the pump is running post-shutdown when running off the thermostat switch? For the sake of simplicity, I'm considering a simple timer switch that I can just set to 10-15 minutes, tied into my hot battery bus. This achieves the objectives of 1) not running during flight and 2) run for a set time after shutdown, without any concern about draining my battery if the pump runs too long.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Spinnetti » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 am

Rynoth wrote:
markschaible wrote:
Sonex Aircraft has begun flight testing of the new AeroVee Turbo Liquid Cooling System with great results. https://www.sonexaircraft.com/aeroveeturbo_update_030518/

Mark, can you give any insight as to how long the pump is running post-shutdown when running off the thermostat switch? For the sake of simplicity, I'm considering a simple timer switch that I can just set to 10-15 minutes, tied into my hot battery bus. This achieves the objectives of 1) not running during flight and 2) run for a set time after shutdown, without any concern about draining my battery if the pump runs too long.

Automotive "thermo time switches" are well proven for this. Car fans run when the car is off based on a temp set point. Very simple/proven solution.
Spinnetti

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee