Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Fastcapy wrote:
What’s so funny Mike?

I just find it really funny how people who talked so much trash about me are experiencing the exact issues I warned about.

I don't wish anyone harm, which is exactly why I was so outspoken about the shady crap the factory pulls...

Then again, I am just a disgruntled ex-employee, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

I understand Mike. Thanks for being honest!

I do want to thank everyone for being so professional and polite. I know that, for some, this is a rather sensitive subject. I really appreciate everyone for being so supportive of each other. Just one more example of why I love this community so much!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby lutorm » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Fastcapy wrote:I just find it really funny how people who talked so much trash about me are experiencing the exact issues I warned about.

I don't wish anyone harm, which is exactly why I was so outspoken about the shady crap the factory pulls...

I'm not familiar with what you are referring to. Care to give me a pointer?
lutorm

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:33 am

Hi all, SvingenB,
Ok well this thread has taken some interesting branches. I love the UL motors. Really beautifully built and quality. My comment was actually very logical. If i was to have a UL motor i would have two alternators and 2 batteries.it wouldnt be hard to do. Why ? well if you have an electical failure you loose yor spark. Old skool technis good too . Carbs, mags have been refind over the years, self contained , and actually very reliable. Yes efi and electronic ignition takes it to a whole new level. For me, im very conservative regarding safety. Redundency is your lifeline.
Lets all help each other get flying in 2018. Mentoring, advice, fam flight training.
To all the turbo operators, keep posting and exchanging data, ideas, solutions.
Lets all strive for an accident free 2018. Maintain your plane in top quality shape, keep proficient, eval yourself mental/physical condition for a safe flight. Watch the weather. Be conservative with fuel status.
Read www.kathrynsreport.com. I try to learn from each scenario to keep in my toolbox.
Be good members in standing of EAA/AOPA, to fight for us in congress.
Help each other out.
Be nice.

Have a safe and good 2018
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am

rizzz wrote:I never hesitated flying in a straight line over the most hostile terrain if that was the shortest route to where I needed to go, now I'll always take the long way around, I just don't fly over things I cannot land on unless I really really have to.

I don't trust any of them! I've had one complete engine failure and three partial power losses. All on Continentals or Lycomings. If I'm in a single engine airplane, I ALWAYS take the long way around rather than flying over large bodies of water or terrain that won't allow a safe emergency landing. Yeah, sometimes it takes me longer to get where I'm going. But I like to fly, so there's no problem with flying longer! Much more attractive option than putting down in water or rocks (or trees, or buildings...)

I was trained to always have a plan in case the engine fails, and I always do. It doesn't matter what kind of engine is under the cowl. I treat 'em all the same from a flight planning standpoint. You just never know.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby jerryhain » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm

As a glider pilot it’s always have a plan no matter how many engines you’ve got.

And now back to the real topic.
My plan for the turbo at the moment is to add water cooling with a small radiator mounted lower than the turbo and the reservoir mounted well above the turbo for passive cooling. I really want to see how little cooling fluid I can get away with. If it works that will probably be my cabin heat source too.

After putting my build on hold for almost 2 years to build my hanger and house, new job, etc I’m now back at work on the kit.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby lutorm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm

jerryhain wrote:My plan for the turbo at the moment is to add water cooling with a small radiator mounted lower than the turbo and the reservoir mounted well above the turbo for passive cooling. I really want to see how little cooling fluid I can get away with. If it works that will probably be my cabin heat source too.

I think you want the radiator above the turbo. The idea is that hot water from the turbo will rise into the radiator and cool down, setting up a thermal siphon. The Garrett white paper referenced earlier in the thread talks about how to facilitate this self-circulation.
lutorm

Postby Onex107 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 am

Hooray for Jerry Hain and a water cooled turbo. At last, out of all this complaining comes a forward thinking builder, willing to do something positive. Although you really don't need a turbo in the Onex, it will be a great performance increase. I think lutorm is right about the radiator being at the top of the system. It worked in my 1947 English Ford with the hot water going back to the top of the radiator. I don't remember if it had a pressure cap.
I worked many years as a development engineer in the metallurgical field. And, the first step in "fixing" something is to brainstorm the problem. The ideas do not have to be practical. Even crazy ideas lead to solutions that work. When I say "think outside the box", that's where you start. For instance here's one. To cool the hot side of the turbo, after landing, inject water into the exhaust manifold ahead of the turbo. It will convert to instant steam and reduce the egt and add cooling to the inside of the hot casting. Is that crazy? They injected water into radial engines in WWII to increase hp. I can hear all the criticism now. Brain storming has no limitations.
If heat soak after stopping the engine is the problem, the hot side has to be cooled individually and/or the water/oil has to continue to protect the bearing and piston ring after shut down.
If the oil chemistry is the only problem. A synthetic is necessary to withstand the heat. That has other problems with 100 LL. I had problems with 100LL in my Cessna. Fouled plugs every time I flew. The lower hp engines do not need the excess lead.
There is an old belief that the lead is necessary for the valves. What it did in the Continental, designed for 80 octane, was accumulate in the valve guides and stick the exhaust valves. It's called Morning Sickness. If the experimental population increases the use of unleaded fuel, maybe the FBO"s will begin to sell it.
Has anyone found information on "cokeing" of oil? I can only find heat vs. viscosity, flash point, friction, and lubricity.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby jerryhain » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 am

You need the reservoir with the pressure cap at the top to fill and for the hot water to rise into. The colder water in the reservoir sinks down into the radiator that stays completely filled for maximum cooling while you’re flying. With the close loop system it shouldn’t matter if the radiator is above or below the turbo as long as you’ve got a reservoir above for the hot water to go to.
Check out how Subaru has done their turbo systems.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby Onex107 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey Jerry. I just came across an excellent white paper by Garrett on water cooling. You need to read this.
https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyg ... ooling.pdf
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Has anyone determined the heat rejection rate of the center housing of the turbo used? I tried without success to find curves. I did find a paper online... I was quite surprised how large the load was for the turbo app being studied.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee