Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Postby wlarson861 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:44 am

Brett and all; the turbo I received was not a ball bearing type. I assume they are shipping the same type now as when I received mine in 2015. the GT2554 is not ball bearing, the GT2554R is. When doing a google search the GT2554R is the default results. You have to almost force it to exclude the "R" to find the journal bearing model.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby SvingenB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:53 am

Gordon wrote:---
The Panther from Florida used the Corvair engine in their first prototype with great success as I understand......but they had enough vision looking into the future that they wanted to accommodate all the builders that MUST have a Lycoming up front to feel "comfortable". Smart decision I should think.

---

Gordon......Onex.....Hummel 2400

Very well said. Although personally I would feel more comfortable behind a Rotax :-) (not that I haven't experienced problems with Rotax engines). I have had lots of problems with my AeroVee, wrong parts, faulty parts, and so on, and very little understanding from the factory. There is a lot less "Aerovee" left in mine now. I have not yet started it, and I have been thinking about alternatives all the time. The only reason to continue with the Aerovee is stubbornness I guess, and having invested so much time, grief and money on it. I want the engine to work, I hope it will work, but the "pilot" inside my chest keep telling me it's an aircraft you are building, not a flying engine test stand to see if a collection of engine parts will somehow work out OK.

I hope it will work, and somehow I believe it will work. It will work until proven wrong of course, but would I like to be proven wrong when flying? I also know that I would feel a whole lot more comfortable with the situation if I could simply drop in a Rotax there. As of yet there is no easy way to do that in a Onex to my knowledge, not without trial and error.

It's that confidence thing that's nagging me, nothing else really, not at this point.
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby SvingenB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 am

WaiexN143NM wrote:I like the UL motors, but if you loose your electrical your toast. No spark.

Happy new year,

WaiexN143NM
Michael

This isn't entirely correct, and it's also not a logical view. You remove something that is known to be rather unreliable (old style fuel system and ignition), and replace it with state of the art "new stuff" that has a proven track record for reliability. The other thing is that FADEC monitors and manages the engine perfectly, so faults caused by poor operation or faulty/sub-optimal ignition/fuel is removed.

Regarding electricity, I just can't see what it is that a dual alternator wouldn't fix, with a MTBF in the millions of hours. (You have to lose battery and dual alternators. What's the chance of that happening at the same time?) Why should a modern brushless alternator be less reliable than mags? They aren't.

Recently we installed EFI on a Rotax powered tow plane. Just the change in idle from the usual Rotax sputtering and rattling to a nice hum at lower RPM will be enough to convince anybody :-)

Modern stuff is etter IMO. More reliable and makes the engine operate more optimal at all times. Older stuff is much simpler, but less reliable, but probably reliable enough when maintained properly.
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby pfhoeycfi » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:03 am

lutorm wrote:
pfhoeycfi wrote:Has anyone been able to plot an operating point on the 2554 map for 100hp?

It depends on the volumetric efficiency, which we don't know, but at 100hp, 3400rpm and 40" MAP, I'd estimate a corrected airflow of 9.5lb/min and a pressure ratio of 1.35. You can plot that on the compressor graph from Garrett below. It's well below peak efficiency and off towards the surge line. If you tried to run 40" at 10,000 feet, you'd be at 12.5lb/min and 1.9. I don't know if the wastegate setup allows that, but that would be even closer to the surge line. (I don't suppose anyone's equipped their turbo with a wheel speed sensor?)

The GT2052 looks like a better compressor match to me. It's also oil-cooled only... It's possible the turbine is too small though.

Yes for HP (airflow) and a calculated P ratio I see it far left as well. I thought I was doing it wrong. There is btw a procedure for playing with the MAP under "advanced tech" at turbo by Garrett.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Fastcapy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:11 pm

LMFAO
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Mike Beck,

That is a highly inappropriate and insensitive comment.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:13 pm

What’s so funny Mike?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby rizzz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm

SvingenB wrote:It's that confidence thing that's nagging me, nothing else really, not at this point.

Yep, and it keeps nagging me.
My 2.4L VW is not an AeroVee and it has never skipped a beat. Runs like a champion.
However, I don't trust it the way I trusted the Lycomings I used to fly behind.
I never hesitated flying in a straight line over the most hostile terrain if that was the shortest route to where I needed to go, now I'll always take the long way around, I just don't fly over things I cannot land on unless I really really have to. Needless to say I'm also very weary every time I take off until I reach a safe altitude.

All this said, I like my VW and it's probably a good thing I'm a bit more cautious now, in hindsight I was probably taking needles risks flying behind a Lyc.
And lets face it, it's not like Lyc's and Cont's never ever quit running.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Fastcapy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:36 pm

What’s so funny Mike?

I just find it really funny how people who talked so much trash about me are experiencing the exact issues I warned about.

I don't wish anyone harm, which is exactly why I was so outspoken about the shady crap the factory pulls...

Then again, I am just a disgruntled ex-employee, so take what I say with a grain of salt!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Fastcapy wrote:
What’s so funny Mike?

I just find it really funny how people who talked so much trash about me are experiencing the exact issues I warned about.

I don't wish anyone harm, which is exactly why I was so outspoken about the shady crap the factory pulls...

Then again, I am just a disgruntled ex-employee, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

I think most of us use the entire salt shaker. Showing some class, again.....nice.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee