Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Siezed low-time neglected turbocharger

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Rynoth wrote:I would think that hitting a pothole at a decent speed would impart more forces on the turbo bearings than anything you could do in flight.

You must drive through Ohio in the winter and spring time! Talk about potholes...most of the roads up here now look like we were bombed by B-52's all winter long!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby GWMotley » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 am

The pot hole joke is funny! But just to let you guys know, there is already a mandatory service bulletin out on the new Rotax 915 about the turbo wastegate shaft and possible combustion product build up.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby Brett » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:34 am

Flew my plane today with the cooling system installed on the turbo. Temps were mostly around 190 in flight. Hottest on the ground post shutdown was 218.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby NWade » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 pm

Brett wrote:Flew my plane today with the cooling system installed on the turbo. Temps were mostly around 190 in flight. Hottest on the ground post shutdown was 218.

Awesome, congrats and thanks for the report!

I'm in the midst of mounting up the cooling system myself. Got any photos of your installation that you're willing to share? What fasteners did you use to attach the Spal fan to the shroud? What did you use for attaching the radiator to the engine mount/clamps? [Perhaps a separate cooling system thread would be useful for us to post our various solutions?]

Thanks!

--Noel
NWade

Postby Brett » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:04 pm

I don’t have setup a place to post photos for the requirements of this site but I’ll try and make an effort soon to update my blog with photos on there.

My install needs modifications but please bare in mind it’s had a 5 x min ground run and 40 x min flight test only.

My install is not also the way I would have liked but it will do for now.

Temps are down so I’m happy. Install was easier than anticipated as well.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby kevinh » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Noel,

My plane isn't flying yet, but I talked with Kerry about various mounting options. And (unsuprisingly) the vent holes in the cowl may not make much of a difference in cooling performance, and mine is a A model waiex so I was left with the following three options for mounting the radiator:

* On the right side of the firewall (has the benefit that if I did want to vent the cowl I could, but I'm not excited about this choice because I presume that area has high pressure while in flight, so cutting holes might hurt by primary cooling)
* Mounted to the engine mount vertically (per the Sonex recommendation) - alas, that wouldn't work so great with my oil filter location. Also finding a location to mount the coolant reservoir becomes challenging in that case.
* I had a big area open just below the turbo, this is where I think I'm going to mount it. I'll use two adel clamps mounted to a bit of aluminum angle on the plennum, and a length of .025" with two screws in the firewall. It seems to me that if I close the two ends this area with triangles of .025", it would be pulling mostly cold air from the bottom of the plane (but I'm going to wait to try this hack after testing with a completed airplane)

To fasten the fan to the shroud I used #8 or #10 screws (I forget which size would fit).

Any feedback would be welcome!
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby tljones42 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 pm

"What fasteners did you use to attach the Spal fan to the shroud? ". I used AN525-832Rxx (16 or 18 I think) Washer Head Screws with the Washer Head inside the plenum.

Tom Jones
Onex 0133
tljones42

Postby Brett » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:31 am

Finally got around to adding some dribble to my blog. Shows pics of the install.
Last edited by Brett on Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby Rynoth » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:11 pm

This is the direction I'm currently headed with my Turbo cooling solution.

This picture shows in the top right the smaller radiator I plan to use, with the plans radiator in the top left. The rest of the components in this photo are from the sonex suggested parts:

http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/wp-cont ... _1893.jpeg

This photo shows the suggested fan on my radiator (not yet fastened), next to the suggested radiator. I do not plan to build a duct between fan and radiator. I will use long screws or bolts to attach the fan to the heat exchanger directly through the fins, avoiding puncture of the fluid channels.

http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/wp-cont ... _1894.jpeg

I was struggling and failing to find a place to mount such a large radiator as suggested by the Sonex plans in my legacy Turbo installation, which is why I looked for a smaller heat exchanger.

Below are 2 pics of 3" circular aluminum ducts I bought from Amazon, before and after painting.

http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/wp-cont ... _1843.jpeg

http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/wp-cont ... _1880.jpeg
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Brett » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:04 pm

I've tried the air ducts facing both ways.
Last edited by Brett on Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee