Aerovee idle issue

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Aerovee idle issue

Postby jwd3ca » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:48 pm

What RPM and average EGT are you seeing on WOT climbout, Bob?
jwd3ca

Postby Onex107 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:59 pm

What I found, the hard way, is the cable is buckling at the throttle. This can lead to a stuck wide open throttle when you start. Even though the throttle is fully retarded the cable has buckled and the slide has not moved. Bad surprise.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby jwd3ca » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 pm

This exact thing happened to me yesterday. If I could include an image, I would. Picture an 'S' curve in the cable near the quadrant. Started up full throttle. Cable is now garbage. Happy it didn't happen when I was airborne! I now have a solid wire inner cable. Important to make sure that the cable holder in the quadrant is free and rotating properly else it will break off there. Also, I think the reason Sonex went to the soft cable was that there were some cases of the solid wire breaking at the slide? Choose your poison...
jwd3ca

Postby SP1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm

jwd3ca wrote:This exact thing happened to me yesterday. If I could include an image, I would. Picture an 'S' curve in the cable near the quadrant. Started up full throttle. Cable is now garbage. Happy it didn't happen when I was airborne! I now have a solid wire inner cable. Important to make sure that the cable holder in the quadrant is free and rotating properly else it will break off there. Also, I think the reason Sonex went to the soft cable was that there were some cases of the solid wire breaking at the slide? Choose your poison...

I remember hearing about how the solid wire would break because people would do a very sharp bend at the slide to fix it in place (Source: Aerovee webinar on EAA). Since then, they have gone to the cable with an end piece to prevent that failure mode. Looks like it has introduced another issue.
SP1

Postby jwd3ca » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:46 pm

Ball cable ends are easy to find. Or fabricate from ball bearings. Drill and silver solder. Problem solved?
jwd3ca

Postby markschaible » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:13 am

Good Morning SonexBuilders.net,

Regarding kinked throttle cables from actuating the throttle when the engine is not running, we resolved this issue several years ago by increasing the size of the galvanized braided throttle cable to 5/64" dia. vs. the original 1/16" dia. cable. The cable is provided in a 120" length, comes with a cast T-barrel end or better fit into the AeroInjector slide and includes Teflon cable housing. Part number is ACV-Q01-45 and the current price is $22.50 plus S&H. http://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart ... ory_id=398

Regards,
-Mark
--
Mark Schaible
General Manager
Sonex Aircraft, LLC
phone: 920-231-8297
fax: 920-426-8333
http://www.SonexAircraft.com
http://www.AeroConversions.com

Sales Info: sales@sonexaircraft.com
Orders: orders@sonexaircraft.com
Accounting: accounting@sonexaircraft.com
Tech Support: tech@sonexaircraft.com

Build a Sonex Aircraft in Your School!
Check out the Sonex Education Initiative: http://education.sonexaircraft.com/
markschaible

Postby jwd3ca » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks, Mark, but I just measured my kinked cable to be 0.077 (5/64) Having said that, it was prolly my fault, I was working it pretty hard trying to get it to close the slide completely. Not the usual treatment :). But I have silver soldered a barrel end onto a solid inner cable I had in 'stock', going to go with that. Knowing that it can push the slide against the idle screw consistently. Don't like landing with 12-1300 rpms :)
jwd3ca

Previous

Return to Aerovee