AeroVee EGT/CHT split Issue

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: AeroVee EGT/CHT split Issue

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:13 pm

Stevetin wrote:Thanks Mike. I've been looking at the Great Plains manifolds, their part number 0251.
Steve

I recently tried a set of these. Posted about it at the time. What they shipped were complete junk that required extensive rework to even get them to fit. And they made no difference.

You can have them for the cost of shipping if you want to try them.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Stevetin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks for the offer Mike but no thanks, I'd rather focus on what does work. When you find out what manifolds that you're currently using I'd really like to know. Regarding the Rotec TB1 MK II 34-2 carb, there are favorable write ups, including from former Aerovee Injector owners.
Thanks for getting back to me,
Steve
Stevetin

Postby estegen@outlook.com » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi Michael
What did you do to get your EGT temps under control. Did you try the great plains manifolds?
I am having the same issue 1150F front two cylinders and 1475 on the rear during climb out even with the throttle backed off a little from WOT.
Installed B side vents to sort the CHT this is working extremely well CHT are running low 300 on climb out .

Thanks Regards Egmont
estegen@outlook.com

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:38 pm

It’s been years since I had this issue but I ultimately tracked it down to the MGL EFIS and RDAC I had installed. I still don’t know how they are “calibrated” but in order to fix that issue I ultimately removed the old ‘gray box’ MGL RDAC and my black and white Stratomaster Ultra XL and installed a new design MGL Xtreme EFIS and the new style RDAC. Once I did that everything worked normally.

In order to determine this, I borrowed a high quality infrared heat gun, warmed up the engine and measured the actual head temps. I remember seeing indications on the MGL of temps nearly double what they actually were.

If your CHTs are within normal limits, you may want to consider new EGT probes or at least swap the front ones for the back ones and see if the temps remain constant or see if the ‘hot’ ones follow the probes.

Best of luck!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Curry Matherne » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:11 pm

That’s one problem that nobody would have guessed!! Thanks for reporting back !
Curry Matherne

Postby JohnBlackstone » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:56 pm

I overheated on the ground last week in 85 degree temps. I’m ordered an infrared/laser heat measuring gun as Michael suggested. Anyone else had any experience with the MGL Stratocaster Velocity CHT being way off?
JohnBlackstone

Previous

Return to Aerovee