Cotton AeroVee 0795

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Cotton AeroVee 0795

Postby vwglenn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 am

So no studs on the oil plate? Interesting.

I probably would've clearanced the oil plate and left the case alone. Grinding on magnesium is doable but generally frowned upon.

Does the Aerovee top mount oil cooler not simply mount to the stock holes? I always thought it was similar to a Type 3 setup. If so, why would you want a different pump? Turbo thing?
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:42 pm

Do those ports plumb to the turbo if I go that route later?

No. The turbo uses a two stage pump. The front hose fittings are similar but serve a different purpose. The intake to the front half of the pump pulls oil from the turbo to the pump then sends it into a fitting in the right rocker cover to return oil to the sump.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:33 pm

I have a two stage pump in my collection - was for my half VW. So I searched for external mount oil filters on the forum. The older stuff came back as either frowned upon or flat out not recommended. But then I see the turbo SB specifies an external oil filter. If I am going to upgrade to a turbo someday, once you early adopters have it worked out, it would seem handy to put that filter on now using my current oil pump. I might do that.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Brett » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:19 pm

I thought that exact same thing when fitting my external filter the other day. :)

I wonder though can the oil changes be delayed a little now. I always thought every 25 hours was due to the fact the Aerovee ran no filter but the turbo engine basically runs two filters now. Still I guess running the turbo the 25 hour interval is more important than ever.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby rizzz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Brett wrote:I thought that exact same thing when fitting my external filter the other day. :)

I wonder though can the oil changes be delayed a little now. I always thought every 25 hours was due to the fact the Aerovee ran no filter but the turbo engine basically runs two filters now. Still I guess running the turbo the 25 hour interval is more important than ever.

The Great Plains manual states 25 hours with no filter, 50 with filter.
GP does not do turbos though...
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Glenn,
I hadn't responded to your post yet. Not sure what you mean by studs on the oil plate - there are 6 studs sticking out of the case. The plate was thin, the bosses were thick so it seemed safe to grind a little. We used a sanding drum from the dremel. The case had been machined for clearance, but not enough. Regarding the top mount oil cooler, I thought that bugs had an adapter that made the cooler stick straight up. The Sonex part bolts to the case but is machined to lay the cooler down. I didn't check to see if the cooler would just bolt to the engine.

I've never made aircraft hoses before. Can anybody point me to a good reference? What parts do I need?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby vwglenn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Regarding the top mount oil cooler, I thought that bugs had an adapter that made the cooler stick straight up. The Sonex part bolts to the case but is machined to lay the cooler down. I didn't check to see if the cooler would just bolt to the engine.

I've never made aircraft hoses before. Can anybody point me to a good reference? What parts do I need?

Beetles and early buses have the upright oil cooler. The "Type 3" (Squareback, Notchback, Fastback) have the same basic engine with an entirely different cooling/tin/fan system so they can fit in the different body style. The Type 3 oil cooler lays flat and hangs over #3&4 cylinders. The Aerovee is similar except the cooler is over the case itself. The oil pump in either the Type 1 (Beetle) and Type 3 (Notch) are the same if memory serves. When I was reading this thread earlier I got curious about the oil pump references. It seemed like there was a need to change the pump or something because of the oil cooler?????

Type 3 setup...

The only danger in grinding the case is the fire danger. If that magnesium gets hot enough it will turn night into day when it catches fire. And you CAN catch it on fire by grinding on it.

Making hoses is not terribly difficult. I've done it a few times. Built oil lines for my full flow filter system on the bus (braided stainless). Also did fuel lines for the Cessna 170 and the Sonex when I pulled the gascolator. Parts are readily available at Spruce or Summit Racing.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:58 am

Glenn,
The stock Aerovee kit is set up for a bottom mounted oil cooler. The pump cover has NPT holes, one for oil out to the cooler and a return. The kit also comes with a block off plate for the stock oil cooler location. The top oil cooler adapter does use the stock holes, but flips the cooler so it is over the case, and moves it back. This is for cowl clearance. Now I don't need those NPT ports in the pump cover anymore. My options are a loop of hose, a new oil pump without the ports, or in my case I am leaning towards the turbo external filter.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby vwglenn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Ahhhh! Now I get it. A typical "full flow" system taps the pump cover and then returns the oil to the case rather than the pump itself. Most of the "bolt on" systems have drawbacks with exhaust clearance in the cars and some didn't force the oil through the filter. Most of the stuff they were supposed to catch simply bypassed the filter.

I'd go with your plan to add the filter and adapt the oil cooler as long as you're going to have to run the loop anyway. Do you have a pic of the oil cover with the NPTs? I'm curious as to which style it is.

Now I'm more curious about the turbo setup and how it's plumbed.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Glenn,
The oil pump is here:
http://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart ... ACV-P01-55

If you download the Aerovee turbo manual and look up the latest SB you will get the turbo picture.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee