Cotton AeroVee 0795

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Cotton AeroVee 0795

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:30 pm

Rynoth wrote:Edit: On further consideration, I think this is exactly what your EGT test is telling you. If you're running on 2 cylinders only, the exhaust gasses are still going to make their way through the pipes and warm the other "cold" EGT thermocouples to a lesser extent.

I would expect the dead cylinder would be pumping cold air past the EGT in its exhaust pipe. How is the other cylinder going to pump hot air backwards through the pipe and into the engine?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:47 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Rynoth wrote:Edit: On further consideration, I think this is exactly what your EGT test is telling you. If you're running on 2 cylinders only, the exhaust gasses are still going to make their way through the pipes and warm the other "cold" EGT thermocouples to a lesser extent.

I would expect the dead cylinder would be pumping cold air past the EGT in its exhaust pipe. How is the other cylinder going to pump hot air backwards through the pipe and into the engine?

It would be interesting to have an EGT on the exit pipe of my air compressor. No combustion there either, but the pipe is too hot to keep your hand on.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:51 am

Area 51% wrote:It would be interesting to have an EGT on the exit pipe of my air compressor. No combustion there either, but the pipe is too hot to keep your hand on.

Interesting point. I would suspect the heat of compression is much less than the heat of combustion.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:32 am

Rynoth wrote:Sidenote: I was taught in my early flight school days to always do a mag check just prior to every engine shutdown. A quick flip of all ignition switches OFF/ON at idle before killing the engine with mixture/fuel shutoff. I'm curious if this is standard practice for others (I believe it should be.)

A rare flight school. Most don't want you doing this. If you don't get it JUST right and get a fuel air charge pass through the cylinder and exhaust valve into the muffler - as the mags go hot again and the engine runs - the next exhaust cycle will ignite the charge in the muffler with a "pop" and you can blow the muffler off. Even if it's new and takes the hit - it stresses it and shortens the life.

Rookie students rarely have the finesse to do it right. So it's banned.

--

But it's a very legitimate test if you can do it right and just "blip" it a fraction to check the mags are grounding.

Like I did just after flying on Tuesday and lo and behold - I have a hot mag........

If it's not one thing..... :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:32 pm

I was taught to check for a hot mag. I do it occasionally. Never blew up a muffler. Not much worry on a Sonex.

As a teenager, I was stuck behind a large truck on a large hill once in my '71 Olds Cutlass. Finally got a pass zone after cresting the hill. Went wide open, and passed the truck. Took my foot off the gas and it got stuck wide open. My first thought as I passed 90 MPH was to turn off the ignition. Then did some troubleshooting and discovered the floor mat had jammed the pedal. Ignition back on. That muffler blew in a spectacular fashion.

Here's hoping for you that it's the top mag!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:01 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:
Rynoth wrote:Sidenote: I was taught in my early flight school days to always do a mag check just prior to every engine shutdown. A quick flip of all ignition switches OFF/ON at idle before killing the engine with mixture/fuel shutoff. I'm curious if this is standard practice for others (I believe it should be.)

A rare flight school. Most don't want you doing this. If you don't get it JUST right and get a fuel air charge pass through the cylinder and exhaust valve into the muffler - as the mags go hot again and the engine runs - the next exhaust cycle will ignite the charge in the muffler with a "pop" and you can blow the muffler off. Even if it's new and takes the hit - it stresses it and shortens the life.

Rookie students rarely have the finesse to do it right. So it's banned.

--

But it's a very legitimate test if you can do it right and just "blip" it a fraction to check the mags are grounding.

Like I did just after flying on Tuesday and lo and behold - I have a hot mag........

Indeed, throttle should be fully idle (as closed as possible) and the "blip" should be as short as possible. I've never experienced a backfire in all my years though (granted I also have never flown an aircraft with a muffler.)

FWIW the flight school was Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, not a small operation by any means.

The real trick in many aircraft is not letting the key get jammed when you go to "off" on the mags, since that's also typically the key removal position.

Example of my mag shutdown check at 14:13 in my First Flight video:

https://youtu.be/D8Z_OK6SFh8?t=849
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:17 pm

New magnatron installed, P lead works now. Issue closed.

A better idea than the blip: just let it shut off and air out.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby flyingbear » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm

Why cant you shut off the mags>>? Defective? Mine were but Sonex knew it and made me pay for new ones.
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:01 am

flyingbear wrote:Why cant you shut off the mags>>? Defective? Mine were but Sonex knew it and made me pay for new ones.

I had one defective mag. I am the original buyer and mine was replaced for free after I provided enough evidence that the mag was bad.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:44 pm

I've redone my sump. I got acorn nuts and drilled them for safety wire.
safety wire sump.jpg
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee