Zenith carb

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Zenith carb

Postby petep » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:46 pm

Anyone installed a GP lower intake and Zenith carb on an Aerovee especially on a Onex? Looks like it will work but unsure if it will clear my Onex universal engine mount.
petep

Re: Zenith carb

Postby wolfpack3 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:07 am

Pete,
I have a Zenith carb mounted to my Onex and since then, my problems with carbs has disappeared! You won't be looking back wishing you would have done something else. They work great. PM me and I will send you some pictures of my setup.
Wolfpack3
Onex
Aerovee
Taildragger
wolfpack3

Postby merle reppert » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:29 pm

Email pictures -----centecmr@a o l
merle reppert

Postby Darick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 pm

I too am curious...please send pics
C.d.gundy@c o m c a s t . n e t
Take out spaces on Comcast address. I believe this prevents auto spammers.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby NWade » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:52 pm

But this is a traditional butterfly-valve carb, right? So you've added carb heat to the system, I assume? How easy was that to do within the Onex cowling?

--Noel
NWade

Postby Mike53 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm not sure if wolfpack had to modify his lower cowel for his carb heat design.
I designed something different from wolf packs and I will have to modify the lower cowl slightly.
technically I can get the lower cowl on but it is a pain so I will give the heat box a little more room so I don't have issues putting on the lower cowl.
You can visit my carb heat design and install at http://www.onexmike.org. and find Carb heat box in the menu.
I was told by Scott Casler that the Zenith carb doesn't like direct ram air so like the Aerovee carb it just gets its air inside the cowl.
I have a nose wheel which created the tight fit because I had to modify the intake Y to move the carb forward .If you have a tail dragger I'm positive you would not have to modify the cowl.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby wolfpack3 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:37 pm

I am posting pictures of my installation of my Zenith carb to my Onex for those interested in what I did. It works great with no burps and no carb problems since! I make two adjustments to the mixture per year...one for cool weather and one for warm weather. I have 2 NACA vents mounted to the bottom of the cowling...one on each side of the bottom. One is for carb heat air or cabin heat and the other one is for fresh air to the carb.
http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/flybo ... 3.jpg.html
Onex
Aerovee
Taildragger
wolfpack3

Postby Robin Hou » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:54 pm

I have an AeroVee Ver 2.0 (2180 cc) in my Sonerai with AeroCarb. I am considering a Zenith carb. My AeroCarb has spigot mount, but the Zenith uses flange mount. Do you guys modify your AeroVee intake or do you use a different intake? If I want to modify my intake to flange mount, where can you get a flange to weld to my Y intake?

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Robin Hou

Postby wolfpack3 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:39 am

Great Planes has them available at a very reasonable cost.
Onex
Aerovee
Taildragger
wolfpack3

Return to Aerovee