aerocarb sticking

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

aerocarb sticking

Postby Johns » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Story most people have, works fine when engine is not running but as soon as it fires up the throttle is way hard to push. Have looked at the service bulletins and did what I could. Have had it apart about three times to clean and re-clean to with no luck. Sent an email to Sonex about a delrin gasket with no response.
So if anyone has any ideas I would love to here them.

I f I were to buy a new aeroinjector would that solve my problem?

John
Johns

Re: aerocarb sticking

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi John,

Is your cowling on or off? If it's humid, I've had that happen a few times due to condensation forming at the bottom of the intake tube. I solved the issue by simply installing the cowling. That always seemed to help me.

Just my two cents of course!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Sonex1462 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi John
I had an issue with my throttle being stuck with the engine running but worked freely with the engine off. This was with the aeroinjector. It turned out that the design of the current aeroinjector was a little bit different than the version I had. Using the newer design fixed my problem.

See my post from last December titled Stuck Throttle - Aerovee Aero Injector viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2476

I hope this helps
John Stewart
Sonex 1462
Kit, Aerovee, Tri Gear, ST Controls

Sonex1462

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Try a good lube. I have had this problem a couple of times and just squirted a little wd-40 in the needle adjustment hole. I know folks will flame me for the wd-40 but I didn't have any high tech super duper methyl eythyl ichy shit spray that costs $60 a can laying around. Your milage may vary!!!!
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby mike.smith » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:27 pm

Exactly the same thing for me. I had to turn the AeroInjector so the cable inputs were facing the prop and the cables arced around from the fire wall. I was an unbeliever about the path of the cables since they appeared to work fine with the engine off, but once the engine was running the throttle bound. Turning the carb solved the problem immediately (it's the orientation the factory planes use).

Before and after:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 253&row=51
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Johns » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone, am going to clean and lube and make sure everything lines up smoothly when put back on and keep my fingers crossed.

John
Johns

Postby Johns » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:28 pm

My continuing saga. Carb was nice and clean and non-sticking when put back on. On start up it is still hard to push but I think I could get full throttle with it. It does pull back nice.
Just wondering do any of you have any resistance at all or is everyone easy to push with engine running?
John
Johns

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:06 pm

Johns wrote:My continuing saga. Carb was nice and clean and non-sticking when put back on. On start up it is still hard to push but I think I could get full throttle with it. It does pull back nice.
Just wondering do any of you have any resistance at all or is everyone easy to push with engine running?
John

Mine slides nice and easy through the full range, but only after I re-routed my cables per my earlier email. Absolutely zero problems after that.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Darick » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Mine didn't work as smooth as I liked. As a test, I took out the needle and the throttle operated much smoother. Taking a very close look at the needle, I noticed the finish was rather rough. So I polished it with Nuvite F9 then inserted it into the fuel delivery orifice, with the help of masking tape and a 6" piece of hinge pin. It was a noticeable improvement.

I reassembled everything and the throttle now works much smoother.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Return to Aerovee