AeroVee 2.1 kit assembly

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

AeroVee 2.1 kit assembly

Postby mdavidow » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:05 pm

I would like to contact anyone who is assembling an AeroVee engine kit or who has recently done so.
I have some questions regarding special machine work required.

madavidow@gmail.com
mdavidow

Re: AeroVee 2.1 kit assembly

Postby Gripdana » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:25 am

I built my Aerovee 2.1 2 years ago. I did not do any machining. I simply followed the assembly manual. I haven't worked on a VW engine for 35 years and never built an engine. I have 92 hours on the engine and it has run as advertised. My motto for the entire build was "KISS" (keep it simple) and to keep it to the plans.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:30 am

mdavidow wrote:I would like to contact anyone who is assembling an AeroVee engine kit or who has recently done so.
I have some questions regarding special machine work required.

Any required machining is already done when you receive your AeroVee engine kit. No machining is required by the builder.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby n502pd » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:10 pm

I just finished my engine build and hope to install it this week. With that said, all above (below?) answers are very correct. However, I had to shorten several head thru bolts to keep from interfeering with rocker shafts, and from interfeering with intake manafolds. I did do one thing that is extra; I installed Threadsert spark plug threaded inserts in all 8 plug holes. No problems encountered with that; just follow directions with the kit. PM if more needed. :)
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:42 pm

n502pd wrote:I just finished my engine build and hope to install it this week. With that said, all above (below?) answers are very correct. However, I had to shorten several head thru bolts to keep from interfeering with rocker shafts, and from interfeering with intake manifolds.

I think that is the case for everyone. Hint: make sure you cut them down before you torque down the heads. I happily torqued my heads and then when I went to put on the rocker assembly I found I had to do a LOT of cutting. Test fit, cut, test fit, cut again if needed. Keep the flying metal out of your engine. Other than that there is no machining needed.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby sonexsteve » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:48 am

I've run into a problem that may require machining, unless someone out in sonexworld or Tech support can come up with a solution.....my wrist pin connecting piston 3 to con rod 3 won't go through the con rod hole fully. It fits fine, indeed very well, in the piston holes, but will only slide into the conrod hole until the leading edge of the pin reaches the far exit from the hole when inserted from engine rear, then jams. Trying to insert it from engine front results in slight engagement, then jamming. I've liberally lubricated with lithium grease. Any ideas please?
sonexsteve

Postby Onex107 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Very unusual. Look closely at the edge of the wristpin bushing on the front side. It probably has been hit putting a small upset on the edge. You can safely remove that yourself.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby n502pd » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:29 pm

I had the same problem, but I can not remember which cylinder it was on. I just took a patch of scotch bright and carefully, sort of spun it by hand several times to just allow the pin to be inserted. I agree with Onex 107 completely. Just dont over do it. :)
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby Sonerai13 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:15 pm

n502pd wrote:I just took a patch of scotch bright and carefully, sort of spun it by hand several times to just allow the pin to be inserted

I've done the same thing a few times. It usually only takes a few swipes with the scotchbrite. Just go a couple of rounds and check the wrist pin. If you need more, just take a couple more rounds and check again.

You want to be able to push the wrist pin through with hand effort only. If you have to drive it through with a plastic hammer, it's too tight.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Return to Aerovee