AeroVee Engine Workshop Perhaps?

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Postby John Usher » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Just an idea...and maybe a "hint, hint" to the Sonex folks... (My apologies if this has already been discussed on this forum)

I wonder if the powers that be at Sonex have ever considered having "AeroVee Engine Workshops". They could be held in a similar format to the Aircraft Workshops that are held several times a year.

A customer could purchase their AeroVee Kit in advance, have the components waiting for them at the workshop then assemble the engine under the supervision of a Factory Rep, maybe even test run it in the factory test booth before crating it up and shipping it home or taking it home with them if they drove...

Others that may be on the fence about the engine or just curious could also attend and simply observe someone else building their engine.

What a great way to ensure you are assembling the engine correctly and or see how it's done in person!

Maybe, if not the factory, another builder who has a lot of experience with the Aerovee could have "colleges" like the Corvair guys do.

Again, just an idea...
John Usher
Sold all my toys...
John Usher

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 pm

I'm going to be flamed for posting this, I am sure....but here goes.

One reason I believe the factory neither sells assembled engines nor would do this is liability.

They sell the kit and let us assemble it to keep costs down and reduce the liability.

I do not know this to be a fact, but based on the history of previous designs (Sonerai for example) I would expect this is at least a factor.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
AeroVee turbo
N1517S
First flight 10/10/2015
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: AeroVee Engine Workshop Perhaps?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:14 pm

I thought it was a neat idea. When I read the original post my first thought was to have a few trainer engines- put them together, then take them apart for the next class. Would give some extra confidence yet should not be the same liability issue.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MikePousson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:24 pm

I've always assumed it was a liability issue. I trust my ability to assemble an engine, but it would be nice to know the bugs are out when it is closed up. I see more and more abandonment of the AeroVee, with other makeshift engines. Hey, the Viking engine is eye catching, but history tells me buyer beware. I hop not. Jan seems like a really nice guy, but even he admits a love/hate relationship with his buyers. If Sonex cowls fit different engines with the new series, it'll be a plus. There are engines I'd like to explore more. D Motor, ULPower etc.
I think the lure of paying $7500 for an engine has a too great first impression to look past. But if you had enough in 2 years, and spend another $17-20 grand, everything is lost. A lot of people fly using the AV. They are happy. But maybe they like to tinker. I'm not one of them people. I just wish Sonex would come up with a solution to get the buyers happy and do good for themselves as a company.
MikePousson

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi all,
Bryan! Great idea! Yep hope sonex takes in your suggestion!

WaiexN143NM
WaiexN143NM

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:06 am

I would be far more likely to attend an engine workshop than the aircraft builders workshop. I know exactly nothing about VW engines, and a workshop would be an easier and more effective way to learn. It wouldn't even have to be offered by Sonex. I suppose any VW expert could put together a builder assistance workshop, where you bring your kit and they help you assemble it. If something like that were available in driving distance, I'd be there.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby dhogue » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:31 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I thought it was a neat idea. When I read the original post my first thought was to have a few trainer engines- put them together, then take them apart for the next class. Would give some extra confidence yet should not be the same liability issue.

To me this is a great idea. I hope it get considered - if it has not yet been.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby John Monnett » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Sonex has revisited the "engine building workshop" time and again since we started producing engine kits. Instead we have invested our energy in producing the new AeroVee Assembly video. It covers everything that an "AeroVee Workshop" could or would. Even better, it can be viewed and reviewed... something a live workshop can't. It has always been our goal to make the AeroVee assembly as simple, cost efective and successful as possible. I believe the video and our comprehensive AeroVee assembly manual accomplish that. I would urge builders to spend the time to study the video. I also believe assembling an engine (especially one as simple as an AeroVee) is far less challenging than building an airframe. My 2¢
John Monnett

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi john,
Thanks for posting. I hope we haven't swamped mark schaible with all of our new requests!

WaiexN143NM
Michael Radtke
WaiexN143NM

Return to Aerovee