AeroVee conversations

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: AeroVee conversations

Postby rizzz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 am

You're absolutely right Vic, I agree AeroConversions, Hummel, RevMaster & Great Plains each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and we all have our own views, preferences and concerns.

I'm currently still leaning towards de RevMaster R2300, partly because of the extra 5hp (which the Hummel also provides) but also the large cylinder head fins which improve cooling. As I've heard from multiple sources, cooling is a common issue in VW conversions and many pilots end up having to step climb on hot days in order to keep temperatures within limits.

As stated before, we all have our preferences and concerns.

Now, if the AeroVee Turbo were to become a reality before I have to make my engine choice, I think that would change my views dramatically, 20hp or so more would probably prioritize over potentially having to step climb a bit more on hot days.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 am

This is an interesting thread and I have also been watching the posts on the Aerovee forum on the Sonex website. At this point my decision has already been made, but when I bought my Waiex kit I wanted one with an Aerovee mount for a few specific reasons:

First and foremost, I really wanted an engine that would provide factory support. I don't know how much Sonex will still help if you have a non-Aerovee VW on your plane, but I never wanted to hear "Sorry, I can't help you with that engine...". My father and I built a Wheeler Express and that factory closed when we were around 60% finished, so I know how valuable factory (and fellow builder) support can be if you have questions that need answered.

Second, even though it would probably work for most VW's, I really like the optional exhaust, sensors, baffling, etc. that is all designed for the Aerovee. The entire FWF on the Wheeler had to be custom done, so I really appreciate the time savings that these kits provide.

Third, it may be crazy, but I sort of looked forward to and enjoyed the Aerovee build. It's really not bad and now that I know what to expect a rebuild would be even easier. Plus I also have the knowledge of each part in the entire engine so if anything needs done, I know just what to do.

Fourth, I know there are at least several GP/Hummel/other VW's out there, but I'd certainly guess that the vast majority of VW+Sonexes out there use the Aerovee, and I like knowing the track record and having a known quantity.

In the end, I'm certainly not saying the Aerovee is absolutely perfect but for my money, it was a pretty easy choice. ;)
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby falvarez » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:14 pm

I will likely be going with AeroVee myself as I really like the support Sonex has provided me up to this point and I agree that if Sonex does my shrink fit hub for me that it will be reliable.

I realize the Sonex hub / crank are fine, but if it there is an improved hub / crank that are available to us, I would like to know so that I can make an educated decision

I've heard of some folks putting the Force One Hub / GP Crank in their Aerovee and the GP site claims additional benefits of their hub / crank combination such as increased bearing surface, eliminates some grove in the crank, etc. I'm just trying to figure out if these claimed benefits are real or as Sonex says they are a waste of money.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Previous

Return to Aerovee