Prop Hub Bolt: How to hold crank while tightening?

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Prop Hub Bolt: How to hold crank while tightening?

Postby Gunther » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello to all. I'm ready to assemble my AeroVee with the factory-installed hub. Step 10 in the manual calls for torquing the bolt to 80 ft-lbs. How does one hold the crank while torquing? I'm tempted to try clamping the crank to a table but there must be a better way. I doubt if even my mother-in-law could hold it.

I'm looking forward to assembling this engine. The packaging, labelling, instructions and support are all first class.

Thanks,
Gunther
Tri-gear Sonex, Turbo AeroVee, dual controls, 70% complete
Gunther

Re: Prop Hub Bolt: How to hold crank while tightening?

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Gunther,

If you purchased the option of the pre-assembled crankshaft and hub, the factory has already torqued it to the proper torque.

Please check your Aerovee manual, I believe it says to skip that step if you have the preassembled crankshaft and hub. However, DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. Check your manual!

This came up for discussion awhile back as well and I believe that was the concensus. I will look up the previous posts.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 pm

What I have done on other motors for a similar situation is to turn back from TDC and feed a length of closeline in through a spark plug hole. It does not compress and you can tighten or loosen the nut. Not sure if this will work here as I have not built my aerovee yet.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:What I have done on other motors for a similar situation is to turn back from TDC and feed a length of closeline in through a spark plug hole. It does not compress and you can tighten or loosen the nut. Not sure if this will work here as I have not built my aerovee yet.

The step he is talking about is the bare crank, before being assembled in the engine. I just rebuilt my engine last week and I have to admit I couldn't come up with a good way to hold the crank without damaging any metal (I originally bought the pre-assembled prop hub). So I just tightened it down with my air-powered impact driver. No torque value; just whatever the driver gave me. The bolt is important insurance, but I'm pretty sure the shrink fit and woodruff key are going to keep it from going anywhere.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby vwglenn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:46 am

I'd get an old VW flywheel (easy for me I have a couple in the garage) secure the crank to the flywheel and temporarily screw/bolt the flywheel to a bench and apply my torque.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Arjay » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Can't you just put the crank in a vise to hold it while you tighten down the bolt?
Arjay

Postby mike.smith » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:21 pm

Arjay wrote:Can't you just put the crank in a vise to hold it while you tighten down the bolt?

Most surfaces of the crank are critical wearing surfaces. Would not be a good idea to use a vice. Besides, half the weight of the engine is in the crank. It's heavy! Tough to hold such an animal in the average work bench vice.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Gripdana » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:21 pm

I did mine when the flywheel was installed and secured the flywheel.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby mike.smith » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Gripdana wrote:I did mine when the flywheel was installed and secured the flywheel.

That has to fall into the "why didn't I think of that" category! No reason the bolt has to be set before installing the crank. It can be done after the engine is built. :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Rynoth » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:16 am

mike.smith wrote:
Arjay wrote:Can't you just put the crank in a vise to hold it while you tighten down the bolt?

Most surfaces of the crank are critical wearing surfaces. Would not be a good idea to use a vice. Besides, half the weight of the engine is in the crank. It's heavy! Tough to hold such an animal in the average work bench vice.

With a big enough vice you could do this with blocks of wood to protect the crank. This is how I did it, but my vice was barely big enough and the crank still wanted to twist as I approached proper torque, had to be careful.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Next

Return to Aerovee