Exhaust Wrap

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Exhaust Wrap

Postby Gripdana » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 am

I am going to wrap my exhaust. How much 2 inch wrap is needed to do an Aerovee 2 into 1 exhaust?
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Re: Exhaust Wrap

Postby SonexN76ET » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Dana,

It took me 2 packages of the 1X50 wrap. I almost made it with one pack. The first pack of 1x50 wrap made it to the exhaust pipe extension joint.

Please be aware that you may have to retune your AeroInjector after wrapping the exhaust. I had to and it was a bit of a challenge for me. But, your case may be different. Please let me know if you have any lessons learned after you wrap your exhaust.

Thanks,

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby Gunther » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:14 pm

Dana and Jake, please help me to understand why you are wrapping your exhaust. Are you encountering heat problems? I know Sonex recommends wrapping the turbo AeroVee exhaust but I'm concerned about what Mr. Vetterman says on vettermanexhaust.com, "Any material on the exhaust will shorten it's life and failure will occur."

There are some interesting and emotional discussions on the RV forums about exhaust wrap and it appears that many RVs do not use it in their tightly cowled speedsters. Some folks are installing infrared heat shields with good results. Very interesting subject.

Gunther
Tri-gear Sonex, Turbo AeroVee, dual controls, 70% complete
Gunther

Postby mike.smith » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Gunther wrote:Dana and Jake, please help me to understand why you are wrapping your exhaust. Are you encountering heat problems? I know Sonex recommends wrapping the turbo AeroVee exhaust but I'm concerned about what Mr. Vetterman says on vettermanexhaust.com, "Any material on the exhaust will shorten it's life and failure will occur."

There are some interesting and emotional discussions on the RV forums about exhaust wrap and it appears that many RVs do not use it in their tightly cowled speedsters. Some folks are installing infrared heat shields with good results. Very interesting subject.

Gunther

I have significantly less heat under my cowl with my exhaust wrapped. That makes my fiberglass and my fuel lines happy. Yes, it can possibly (evidence is anecdotal at best) reduce the life of the exhaust pipe, but by how much? And over what period of time? Years? And the exhaust pipes (at least for the AeroVee) are not expensive, so is it a big deal? I'll have a look at everything at each annual condition inspection. I'm very happy with my exhaust wrap and the low temps in my engine compartment. :D
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby andrewp » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 am

+1

AP
andrewp

Postby avee8r » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:56 am

An alternative to wrapping the exhaust is to send it out for "Jet Hot" coating. It's used primarily on race cars to keep the heat inside the exhaust, sending it out the open end. I feel that it's kept the temps low under my cowl and looks better than wrapping. The down side is I can't use a heat muff on the exhaust, there's no heat on the outside of the exhaust to transfer to the passing air. If I want to add heat I'll need to purchase another aft section of exhaust and keep it uncoated.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby eppre » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 am

Where did you gentlemen get your exhaust wrap?
eppre

Postby Gripdana » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:27 am

I ordered mine from ACS it comes today.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:56 am

avee8r wrote:An alternative to wrapping the exhaust is to send it out for "Jet Hot" coating. It's used primarily on race cars to keep the heat inside the exhaust, sending it out the open end. I feel that it's kept the temps low under my cowl and looks better than wrapping. The down side is I can't use a heat muff on the exhaust, there's no heat on the outside of the exhaust to transfer to the passing air. If I want to add heat I'll need to purchase another aft section of exhaust and keep it uncoated.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX

John,

Where did you send your exhaust? How much did it cost?

Thanks,

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby NWade » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Also: Does anyone have an idea what the weight of their exhaust wrap is?

I would be curious to understand how that weight compares to the weight of a sprayed-on/ceramic coating like Jet-Hot...

--Noel
NWade

Next

Return to Aerovee