AeroVee oil leakage

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

AeroVee oil leakage

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:43 pm

I always have some oil in the engine compartment. Nothing flowing, but enough to put streaks in the inside of the cowl. I noted today that the majority of it seems to be coming from the dipstick tube. There is oil coating the outside of the tube, and then streaks running from there, down the engine, and onto the cowl. It collects in the oil cooler tunnel as well.

I used to think it was residual oil from checking the oil level, but I have been very careful to use a rag, and to no let stuff run down the tube. So I'm thinking it's blow-by. That is, the dipstick is not seated well enough around the tube and oil is being pressured out the top of the filler.

ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS, OR SEEN THE SAME THING (if you have an AeroVee of course)?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: AeroVee oil leakage

Postby gammaxy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:58 pm

My dipstick seals fairly tight, so I'd be surprised if it is leaking like yours.

Have you seen Dana's recent post about his dipstick fitting loosely?
http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1876
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I did see that post, which is one reason I zeroed in on the dipstick today. It isn't loose, but I wouldn't call it a tight fit, either. And since the oil is uniformly coating the outside of the dipstick tube, that again makes me think it's blowing out past the cap.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Gripdana » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 am

Hi Mike,
Yesterday after I went flying I had more oil kind of blown throughout the top oil cooler and on to the fire wall on and around the fuel filler neck area. I did have a small leak from the right valve cover gasket but that was fixed after the valve adjustment I did pre flight. A couple of guys (one was the local DAR) came by to check out the new guy on the field. They gave my plane the once over and we talked about the dip stick. They both agreed that it could be the source of the oil I am seeing. They suggested I use heat shrink on the tube to get a better fit. I will give that a try as well. The only other place I am seeing oil is from one pushrod tube. Hope this helps.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby Gripdana » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:49 am

BTW. My dip stick flops around on the tube. It just has gravity holding it down.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Postby mike.smith » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Gripdana wrote:Hi Mike,
They suggested I use heat shrink on the tube to get a better fit.

That's a good idea :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Onex107 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 am

The head of the dip stick should have an O-ring in it that fits tight around the tube. Maybe a different size would solve your problem. Be sure your vent line isn't reduced internally by fittings, etc. You must have a lot of back pressure. If you are not broken in, the pressure will reduce as you gain hours. I know others have put vent lines in the valve covers, but that shouldn't be necessary.
Onex 107
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Gripdana » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:01 am

No o ring in mine. It has nothing in it.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Dana,

I would check with Sonex about you not having a firmly fitting oil dipstick with an o ring.

Also, as others have said, make sure you don't have any restrictions in your oil breather tube all the way to the exit at the bottom of the plane. Also make sure your exit tube is not pointing into the wind causing positive pressure in your breather line.

Also make sure your valves are properly adjusted and are closing all the way.

A new engine may have some blow by past the rings but that normally improves as the engine is broken in.

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby Gripdana » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Sonex is sending me the o rings. Also I am using the Sonex oil separator and it is installed per plans. It does have an angle cut on the end of the tube just like the fuel vent.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Next

Return to Aerovee