Annual Compression Tests

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Annual Compression Tests

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:50 pm

More food for thought...

After doing a compression test cold, I got:
64/80, 64/80, 60/80, 30/80. Yup, 30.

So pulled the head that had the 30/80 reading. The rear (#3) exhaust valve was burned. So I pulled the other head as a precaution. The rear (#1) exhaust valve was also burned, but not as badly. So I decided to replace all 8 valves and have the seats machined.

Today I did a new compression test COLD, and got:
80/80, 79/80, 80/80, 78/80.

So valve status sure can be displayed in a compression test, even cold.

The front valves & heads looked normal, while the rear cylinders showed signs of being too lean. With the front and rear cylinders getting fuel/air from the same intake pipe, how is the front good and the rear bad? I'd really like to know that one. Poor intake manifold path? I checked for leaks at the manifold before I took the head off and found none.

And more food for thought...
http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/188758-1.html
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby nwawingman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks Mike! That make me feel better. Maybe I do have an issue after all. My rear cylinders also looked like they were running leaner than the front. # 4 looked to be running the most rich. I will let you know how my readings are when I get them reinstalled.
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:01 pm

nwawingman wrote:Thanks Mike! That make me feel better. Maybe I do have an issue after all. My rear cylinders also looked like they were running leaner than the front. # 4 looked to be running the most rich. I will let you know how my readings are when I get them reinstalled.

Though keep in mind the 64/80 on a cold engine may not be too bad for an engine with time on it. Maybe that would have been 70 or more on a warm engine? I'm new to being an engine guy, so I'm not the best source of information ;) I just wanted to put out there that your mileage may vary between a warm engine or cold, or they might be very similar. So other indicators might also be needed to pinpoint potential problems.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Bruce593SX » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:02 am

mike.smith wrote:
And more food for thought...
http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/188758-1.html

Great link Mike!

From listening to Mike Bushe at Oshkosh is where I got my original recommendation about hot vs cold testing... A great read!
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby Onex107 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 am

My first compression test cold at 50 hours had all in the 60/80 range except #3 which tested 40/80 and had a noticable hiss in the exhaust. I was advised to "stake" the valve and retest. My A&P friend said that usually doesn't help but it doesn't cost anything to do. I ran the engine and tested hot and got 64/80. I borrowed a bore scope and looked in the cylinder and noticed the piston face was carboned up except for patches around the edge where the shiney alumunum showed through. It's possible a chip of carbon was in the valve seat and staking would have decreased the leak. Take the valve cover off and pop the valve a couple of times.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby tom0nex74 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:49 am

The last compression check on my Aerovee showed 30/80 on #3.Thought at first it was leaking rings.Then I traced the leak to the intake valves. Re-faced and polished both intake valves on both heads. Good compression now.
The local VW engine guru says "it's always the valves"..................................Tom Ryan 0nex0074
I am experiencing leaning (higher CHTs & EGTs) when pitching the nose up in climb. Does anyone think that the pitch angle of the Aeroinjector could cause a leaner mixture?
tom0nex74

Postby SonexEZ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:05 pm

I got problems all cylinders are low or no compression on one , can anyone remind me if i add oil to the cyclinder and the pressure comes up is thatrings or valves ?
what i found was the rear exhaust was too tight of an adjustment , making the surface all carboned up but did not burn so i tried to lap it witht he tool and compond but it only whnt up to 45 lbs removed head its going to a shop in Orlando later this week
Last edited by SonexEZ on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonexEZ

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Rings. If the valves are bad oil won't cause them to seal.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:35 pm

tom0nex74 wrote: I am experiencing leaning (higher CHTs & EGTs) when pitching the nose up in climb. Does anyone think that the pitch angle of the Aeroinjector could cause a leaner mixture?

Climbing will naturally cause temperatures to rise simply due to less air flowing over the cylinders. The AeorInjector itself would not be the cause of leaning in a climb. But lack of fuel flow could. Did you do a flow test with the airplane on the ground in a climb attitude? In a gravity feed system the fuel path (& resulting head pressure) is critical.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby SonexEZ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:26 am

Rynoth wrote:I use the following from Aircraft Tool Supply. Works great. The adapter fits in the Aerovee plugs.

2E DIFFERENTIAL CYLINDER PRESSURE TESTER (18MM) 1 $69.95 $69.95
12MM ADAPTER, 2E PRESSURE TESTER 1 $8.95 $8.95

hi I am looking for the 12 MM adapter dont see it on the web page do you have a P/N?
SonexEZ

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee