Opinions about Aerovee are welcome

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Opinions about Aerovee are welcome

Postby MaNo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi, my name is Norbert and although still a student pilot, I am looking around as to what airplane to get when done. I seem to be coming back all the time to the Waiex tri-gear, rather than the Sonex. It's the looks of the Y configuration, I suppose.

I have this big question about the the power plant. I like the frugal Aerovee (and price too) but at only 80hp I wonder if it would be a wise choice. You see I live on a relatively small island (roughly 14 x 60 miles) with an average easterly trade wind of about 13-14 knots and an average temperature of 28 Celsius. As there is no other airport in Barbados,it would mean flying to other islands once the novelty of the local circuit has worn off. The closest neighbouring island however is about 100 miles West of us which might mean a battle with the tradewind on the return flight, if I opt for the Aerovee.

There is the of course the turbo version but I am concerned about over-burdening the engine components.

Under normal circumstances 'speed' is not of great importance to me but with that much ocean under me, I would like to get across it as quickly as possible.

What do experienced pilots say to this? Forget about the lower operating expenses of the Aerovee and go for a Jabiru 3300?

Cheers
Norbert
MaNo

Re: Opinions about Aerovee are welcome

Postby Andy Walker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:05 pm

I think it comes down to how you want to build and fly. There is nothing wrong with the Aerovee, and it's adequate for the Sonex airframe. You just have to be aware of the limitations. You are going to want to build a Waiex with an Aerovee as lightly as possible, and you won't want to try to fly it out of very short fields. Also, people who build Aerovees seem to spend a bit more time tinkering with their engines (adjusting valves, tuning the Aeroinjector, etc) than Jabiru owners. That's not a bad thing if you like playing with engines, it's just an aspect of the Aerovee.
Andy Walker

Postby MaNo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks for feedback, Andy.

I don't think the building itself represents a problem but I may have a some hurdles to get over with the local Directorate of Civil Aviation as we have neither 'Experimental' nor LSA here...... so I have no idea how they would categorize a home-built. Will, of course, find that out before placing any order.

Although I could probably plan-build a Waiex as I have a CNC router with a 60" x 120" working envelope, I would definitively purchase the complete kit due to the time saving. As I said, I don't think I would have a problem with the construction itself.

Runway length isn't a problem either. In most cases, they are more than ample. At TBPB we have 11 000 feet while a good number of surrounding islands can comfortably handle a 747 and the smaller places can take a Dash 8 without problem.

My concern is mainly the 80 hp Aerovee with a tri-gear configuration and possibly a Todd's canopy (don't know if the latter adds drag) flying for 100 miles into a 13 knot headwind. If I do it a couple of times a month I might regret the low power even though the overall economy of that engine makes it very attractive.

Norbert
MaNo

Postby N111YX » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Norbert, one major factor is what you want to carry. 80 HP is minimal with two big folks on board in terms of climb rate, especially on hot days. With 11,000 feet that may not be a big concern for you, however.

The 3300 will definately minimize your "overwater" time with a 30-40 mph advantage. I have a 3300 and I would certainly go into debt again for another. It's that good...:)

Also, the Waiex cannot be built by plans alone. It's only sold as a kit.

I went to Barbados for my honeymoon in 1999. Cool island!
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby MaNo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 am

Kip, I think that in the back of my mind I already knew that the 3300 is the way to go but was hoping to be proven wrong, i.e. I was hoping that considering the design of the Sonex/Waiex, a 80 hp on a Sonex would essentially be as good as a 120 hp on a less streamlined design. Call it wishful and/or unrealistic thinking or whatever.

My CFI recently took 1hr-40min in a 108 hp Tomahawk from TLPL to TBPB (about 115 miles). I am not a speed freak but wouldn't like to spend more time over a featureless ocean than absolutely necessary. So I suppose the power plant of choice will be a 3300 when the time comes. Have to do get my PPL first though.

Have checked out your videos on youtube as well as others. I am almost certain I have seen all Sonex/Waiex related videos. Great stuff!! It would be nice though to see some videos shot at the eye level of the pilot. Most cameras are mounted higher than that and tend to give the impression of a greater field of view.

Yep, Barbados is a cool island but I wish we were located a little more to the West. Then it would be easier to go island-hopping down to South America or up the island chain.

Norbert
MaNo

Postby kmacht » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 pm

MaNo wrote:Kip, I think that in the back of my mind I already knew that the 3300 is the way to go but was hoping to be proven wrong, i.e. I was hoping that considering the design of the Sonex/Waiex, a 80 hp on a Sonex would essentially be as good as a 120 hp on a less streamlined design. Norbert

I'm a little late to see this post but here is my thinking. If you are just worried about the 100 miles over water there will be very little difference in time between the Jabiru 6cyl and the Aerovee. The cruise at sea level is only 5 miles per hour different. At 8000 feet it is about 20 miles per hour different. Thinking in practical terms, even at 8000 feet you are looking at about 40 minutes in an aerovee vs 35 minutes in a jabiru to go that 100 miles. Will that 5 minutes make any difference, probably not. Where the Jabiru really shines is if you are at higher elevations or your total effective horsepower is reduced because of density altitude or your runway is very short. That is why you won't see many aerovees being used in places like Colorado. You also get about 50 percent more climb rate out of the Jabiru than the aerovee.

Keith
kmacht

Postby MaNo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Keith,
Thanks for your comment. Density altitude would be a marginal problem because most airfields in our region are within a couple hundred feet ASL. In St Maarten, a little North of here, you might just as well mount a surfboard on your plane because the runway is practically at sea level. Our Airport is about 169' ASL

A healthy climb rate would be desirable at some locations in the Caribbean, though.

At this stage (initial planning and dreaming) I am leaning 80 - 90% towards a 3300 but I am in no rush to make a decision.

Norbert
MaNo

Postby N111YX » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:47 am

If I were lined up with an Aero-Vee powered Sonex at seal level, I doubt that I would only have a 5 mph advantage... ;)

kmacht wrote:
MaNo wrote:Kip, I think that in the back of my mind I already knew that the 3300 is the way to go but was hoping to be proven wrong, i.e. I was hoping that considering the design of the Sonex/Waiex, a 80 hp on a Sonex would essentially be as good as a 120 hp on a less streamlined design. Norbert

I'm a little late to see this post but here is my thinking. If you are just worried about the 100 miles over water there will be very little difference in time between the Jabiru 6cyl and the Aerovee. The cruise at sea level is only 5 miles per hour different. At 8000 feet it is about 20 miles per hour different. Thinking in practical terms, even at 8000 feet you are looking at about 40 minutes in an aerovee vs 35 minutes in a jabiru to go that 100 miles. Will that 5 minutes make any difference, probably not. Where the Jabiru really shines is if you are at higher elevations or your total effective horsepower is reduced because of density altitude or your runway is very short. That is why you won't see many aerovees being used in places like Colorado. You also get about 50 percent more climb rate out of the Jabiru than the aerovee.

Keith
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby kmacht » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I was just quoting the figues listed on the sonex website:

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/sonex.html

They list cruse speed for the aerovee at sea level as 130 mph and for the Jabiru 3300 135 mph. The diffence goes up as the altitude goes up. They list the aerovee at 150 mph cruise for 8000' and the Jabiru at 170 mph.

Keith
kmacht

Postby kmacht » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:25 pm

I was just quoting the figues listed on the sonex website:

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/sonex.html

They list cruse speed for the aerovee at sea level as 130 mph and for the Jabiru 3300 135 mph. The diffence goes up as the altitude goes up. They list the aerovee at 150 mph cruise for 8000' and the Jabiru at 170 mph.

Keith
kmacht

Next

Return to Aerovee