Smaller crank case studs and nuts

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Smaller crank case studs and nuts

Postby Gripdana » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:11 am

I have a few of the nuts that don't engage all the way on the studs (see photos). Also the stud on the top of the case is too long for just one washer. The case went together well the dowel pins are all aligned and the 6 case bolts are torqued to the assembly manual and the studs are flush with the top of the nuts. There are no spacer in the case joints and the permatex 3H gasket maker squeezed out the seam slightly and evenly all around. The crank and cam shaft move freely and have no interference. I did not tighten the studs or check for this problem prior to sealing the case. I didn't even think to check.
Did anyone else have this issue? I sent a note to sonex tech support to see what they recommend.

Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Re: Smaller crank case studs and nuts

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:48 am

Dana,

It's possible the studs were seated too deep in the case by the manufacturer or Sonex. I agree that's not acceptable to leave as is. You can double nut the studs and back them out...but let's see what the tech gurus at Sonex have to say .
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Re: Smaller crank case studs and nuts

Postby marsolgp » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:05 am

I had half the studs on my case that needed 'adjusting, no big deal, I noticed mine when I did the trial fit for crank clearance and I used a stud remover I had from my motorcycle mechanic days to remove and reinstall them properly, or, as Scott M suggested, just double nut them, remove and reinstall with loctite.
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

Return to Aerovee