Compression failure Nikasil Cylinders

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Compression failure Nikasil Cylinders

Postby bakfly » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi all,
After just 3hrs flying and trying to tune #2 .5 needle, the Aerovee Engine with Nikasil Cylinders developed a problem. We checked the ignition, retightening the cylinder heads and readjusted the valve clearance. Then we discover the problem was that three out of four cylinders did not have any compression. After taking the Cylinder heads and cylinders off on right hand side of the engine, we discovered apart from the cylinders are glazed already, one of the Pistons has partly lost its black coating. It looks like it has just flaked off. In addition to that it looks like that the Piston Rings has not been in contact with the Cylinder wall on some places, meaning that the cylinder is not perfectly round. I have not taken the cylinders off on the other side yet but I expect they will be the same. During ground engine test and test flying the Cylinder head and exhaust gas temperature never went above the maximum allowable temperature.
Does anybody had the same sort of problems with the Nikasil Cylinders and Pistons?

Regards,
Peter Bakker,
Sonex #1430, Aerovee 2.1
bakfly

Re: Compression failure Nikasil Cylinders

Postby mike.smith » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Before I first flew I had very low compression in one cylinder. Air was leaking from the exhaust valve. I rechecked the valve gaps and ran the engine a few times on the ground. When I rechecked, that same cylinder was nearly 80/80. I have about 52 hours on mine, and no issues.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm sorry to hear this Peter. I'm at a loss as to what the issue may be.

I have around 130 hours on my Nikasil cylinders and have not had an issue with them. During my last Condition inspection in April, I checked the compression with the engine cold and all compressions were great.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby GWMotley » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 pm

If anyone remembers, I posted last year that I had to replace all my cylinders, some for a second time. I found that the cylinder head rim had become distorted and rolled over to form an edge which made it very very difficult to remove the heads. I have since switched to steel cylinders. While they are heavier than the niks, they added weight actually Improved the handling of the aircraft as I believe I was too neutral in CG. Check them carefully next time the heads are off guys.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby bakfly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Yesterday, I took the left-hand side cylinder off. The Pistons and rings are looking ok but the cylinders walls are bad. The wall surface looks like it is bobbling/lifting off. It is sort of a rim running for the bottom to the top of the cylinders at the bottom side of the engine. I have to replace all the Cylinders and Pistons but I would never use the Nikasil Cylinders anymore.
bakfly

Postby tonyr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear your engine is having issues with the cylinders, a bit of a bummer at this early stage.
Sounds like a manufacturing defect.
Hopefully you can get it sorted soon and replaced with the standard stuff?

Cheers
Tony
Sonex #813
First Flight... 4 Oct 14
298 hours having fun!
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813
tonyr

Postby bakfly » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:50 am

Good news, :D Sonex has shipped out a complete set steel cylinders replacement free of charge arriving at the middle of this week. Hopefully we can continue test flying next week. I would like to thank Sonex for a resolving this issue very quickly and satisfactory.
Cheers,
Peter
bakfly

Postby Brett » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby fastj22 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:13 pm

That is outstanding customer service. I've had two SBs on my plane that Sonex quickly shipped me replacement parts on their dime.
My only nit with them is the shipping cost of a replacement wheel pant. :o I kid. Ok, only slightly.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to Aerovee