What is the difference between the Aerovee 2002 and a 2.1

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

What is the difference between the Aerovee 2002 and a 2.1

Postby Stogie6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 am

OK Sonexer's out there. I am now the proud owner of an Aerovee 2002 engine (S/N 350). This is one of the older models but has 0 time on it since built. I have been reading thru the posted SBs and will need to perform several to bring it up to date. I intend to break down the engine and rebuild if for only the educational experience and peace of mind. So, my biggest question is this: What is the difference between the 2002 and the 2.0 and 2.1? My readings so far show that it is the prop/hub and crank. What else?
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Re: What is the difference between the Aerovee 2002 and a 2.

Postby ccm » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:29 am

I can think of a few differences:
- Crankshaft
- Some have a 10 amp alternator rather than the 20 amp
- Older (and larger) AeroCarb. Mine is the ACV-C03
- Older oil breather plate on the top. You can upgrade to the new machined one

http://www.aeroconversions.com/products/aerovee/index.html has some information on the history
Craig Miller
Sonex 1526
Standard gear, AeroVee
http://kdmiller.unospace.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
ccm

Postby Stogie6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:54 pm

One note of clarification...this engine package came with the newer aero-injector and the bottom mounted oil cooler. I am modifying to mount the oil cooler on top of the case as well as verifying/replacing components as described in the SB. I guess my real question (or concern) is about the prop/hub assembly and crank and I am not really sure what the correct question is to ask. Probably ought to research who the original builder of this engine was and ask him/her. I do have the manual they built from with notes, etc. Seems very thorough.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Stogie6

Postby kmacht » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Other than the crank / prop hub and a few of the bolts being zinc plated instead of just plain steel the 2.0 and 2.1 are exactly alike. On the crank they made the nose a little longer and with a slightly bigger diameter and elimited the distributor drive gear and the racer spacer for ease of assembly. There are plenty of people out there flying behind the 2.0 with no issues so unless there is something wrong with your engine I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. I would also advise against breaking down the entire engine just to see what is in there. You will have a much higher chance of something breaking from infant mortality after the re-assembly than of something breaking on an already assembled and running engine. If you dissasemble you have to make sure you put things back together exactly where they came out of (bearings in the same location, tappets in the same holes, rockers on the same side and location, pushrods in the same spot, etc). Those components have already worn together and assembling them in different locations is just asking for a reduced life on the engine. Take it for what it is worth but as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Keith
kmacht

Postby Stogie6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Take it for what it is worth but as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Keith

Thanks for the advice. I aopreciate the feedback. I will definitely perform the required SBs that are posted on the website. I have already identified at least two items to address - easy fix.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Stogie6

Return to Aerovee