What Is This?

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

What Is This?

Postby daleandee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Pardon my ignorance ...

I was on the ASA site looking at photos and was admiring the clean installation of the Aerovee in the factory Waiex when I noticed what appears to be a 4th bearing of some type on the nose of the engine supporting the prop hub:

Don't know if this is what it appears to be, something that is being tested for future use i.e. in turbo applications, or if this is part of new hub/crank set up and I haven't seen it until now. Can someone explain?

Just curious as always!

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Re: What Is This?

Postby rizzz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Yes, I'm very interested to hear what this is as well.
Might this be their version of the Force One prop hub/bearing from GP?

I agree it could indeed have something to do with the turbo project, perhaps the standard AeroVee shrink fit prop hub which Sonex has always stated is reliable enough for the 80hp AeroVee if installed correctly might not be quite enough for a 100hp turbo AeroVee.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby EricS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 am

I remember Joe Norris talking about this during the fly-in. They were having problems with the seal leaking so they had this special seal fitting made to solve the problem.

Joe can probably speak more intelligently about the topic.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 am

Nothing mysterious about this. it's just an experimental seal that one of our vendors made for us to try out. We put it on the Waiex engine as a test case. We also put one on the engine in the Sport Acro. It is just an experiment!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby daleandee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Sonerai13 wrote:Nothing mysterious about this.

Easy for you to say ...

8~)

After I posted the question I went back and looked closely and noticed that it is a split assembly. VW conversions do not have a prop end seal, only an oil slinger, and it was a concern on the older box baffle cooling system for the Aerovee as it would seep oil sometimes. This doesn't seem to be a concern with the fence baffle system now in use because of the change in pressure around the prop hub.

It is supposed that the difference in the cooling set up (oil cooler on top) is causing pressure differences in that area that will require a seal?

It is good to see an experimental aircraft company "experimenting!"

Thanks for the clarification Joe!

Dale
N319WF

PS: BTW, Sonex could have fun with this on April 1st ...
daleandee

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Dale,

daleandee wrote:It is supposed that the difference in the cooling set up (oil cooler on top) is causing pressure differences in that area that will require a seal?

No, it's not really that. We have the top-mount oil cooler on several factory prototypes now, and none of them experience any leakage due to the installation of the cooler. Like I said, it is just an experiment. :)

daleandee wrote:PS: BTW, Sonex could have fun with this on April 1st ...

Be careful what you wish for!!! :o
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby rizzz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Sonerai13 wrote:No, it's not really that. We have the top-mount oil cooler on several factory prototypes now, and none of them experience any leakage due to the installation of the cooler. Like I said, it is just an experiment. :)

Hi Joe,
Is there any particular reason Sonex is experimenting with mounting stock vw (I think) oil coolers on top now on Sonex/Waiex aircraft instead of the standard bottom mounted oil cooler setup?
I thought this was only done on the Onex because of clearance issues?
Is there anything better/worse about this setup?
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:32 am

rizzz wrote:Is there any particular reason Sonex is experimenting with mounting stock vw (I think) oil coolers on top now on Sonex/Waiex aircraft instead of the standard bottom mounted oil cooler setup?
I thought this was only done on the Onex because of clearance issues?
Is there anything better/worse about this setup?

there's really nothing new about the top-mount oil cooler. We had the exact same setup on our Sonerais back in the day. I am not sure why they didn't do this on the Sonex from the very start. I'll have to ask John sometime. My only slightly educated guess is that the original Sonex cowl didn't have room for the cooler on top. I'll find out.

Anyway, for my money, the top-mount cooler is nicer for a couple of reasons. One; there are no external hoses, thus making the installation not only simpler but also eliminating a couple of possible maintenance or failure points. Two, it's out of the way for oil changes. Nothing to undo or move out of the way to get to the oil drain plug and screen. The top-mount cooler might also make cowl installation easier if you decide not to put the little "mouth" below the prop spinner, and thus won't have to make and install the pan below the oil sump. That's how we did the new cowl on the Waiex, which some of you saw at Crossville.

For me, as a former Sonerai builder/owner, the top-mount oil cooler was "back to the future". Been there, done that!! I like it!!

Cheers!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby daleandee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Sonerai13 wrote:The top-mount cooler might also make cowl installation easier if you decide not to put the little "mouth" below the prop spinner, and thus won't have to make and install the pan below the oil sump. That's how we did the new cowl on the Waiex, which some of you saw at Crossville.

Hi Joe,

Without the oil cooler on the bottom and the opening required for it ("the mouth" as you call it) wouldn't that aid the cooling of the Aerovee as the pressure difference between the upper and lower cowling would be greater? Seems like another plus unless there is still some air required to pass over the oil sump of the engine as part of the cooling requirements.

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby radfordc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:05 pm

Joe, I think there is something else to be said for the top mounted cooler. Without the air flow into the bottom of the cowl you should get better engine cooling due to higher pressure differential. Did you notice anything like this?
radfordc

Next

Return to Aerovee