accessory plate

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

accessory plate

Postby flyinbrian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:40 pm

I have a grinding noise coming from the stator area. I can only hear it at 900 or less RPM. I've had everything apart and cannot find anything wrong. The stator has a crack thru the potting material, but Sonex says that is normal.
Anyone have a similar problem or ideas as to what it could be?
I have 110 hrs on the engine.

Brian
Waiex N126YX
flyinbrian

Re: accessory plate

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Brian,

Have you performed the engine manual's check of using a sharpie to "paint" the stator to check for rubbing areas? If so, do you have any rubbing in that area?

There aren't too many spots back there where rubbing can occur. If the stator isn't rubbing and the secondary trigger magnet isn't rubbing the triggers, it may just be a strange sound but be nothing. :?

Good luck!

Mike
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby kmacht » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Have you checked the crank endplay to make sure it is still within limits?

Keith
kmacht

Postby flyinbrian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks for the hints. The Stator isn't rubbing and the magnet isn't rubbing. Haven't checked the crank endplay. How could that change?
Brian
flyinbrian

Postby kmacht » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 am

My end play opened up after the first engine run because I put too much sealant on when installing the flywheel and it got on the shims giving me a false reading. The other way is to have the thrust surface of the bearing wear. Both are probably unlikely for you but it is an easy thing to check and all those rotating parts in the stator are attached to the crank. Just pull and push on the prop and watch how far the prop hub shaft moves in and out of the case. It should be very little.

Keith
kmacht

Return to Aerovee