Machined oil sump plate

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Machined oil sump plate

Postby Darick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:07 am

The oil sump plate from Sonex, is drilled for a return line from an oil separator. I don't understand why you would want to return oil to this location, that being the lowest point in the engine. It seems to me the oil return line would collect all types of debris and would need flushed out at oil changes. Plus, you have an extra length of hose filled with oil sitting at the bottom of your engine, not really circulating but at what, an ounce an hour? (I have no idea how much oil goes out the breather). Wouldn't it be better to return that oil to a higher location, if possible?

So, let's say you are filling the engine with oil for the first time. The oil will go down from the filler hole, into the sump and into the oil separator return line, filling it up to the level equal in height to the level in the engine. Now, as the engine runs, the oil separator does it's job of scavenging oil from the breather tube and sending it down its merry way to the bottom of the sump, via the oil return line, along with any contaminants found along the way, only to settle in the oil return line which is the lowest point in the system. Since this pathway isn't an active part of the oil pump system, I think it's safe to assume there will be very little movement of oil between the oil separator and the sump, thus a great place for crud to settle out. This could be a good thing of course, since it's not in the engine, but cleaning out the return line sounds like a lot of extra work every oil change.
I'm probably over thinking what must be a minor point as I couldn't find any history on it. And maybe I should have just ask a simple question from the get-go....Does the oil return line get filled up with crud? And is there enough room to return the oil at a higher location?

Late at night thoughts and getting ready to buy engine,
Darick
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: Machined oil sump plate

Postby rizzz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 am

If you want the same oil sump plate without the extra hole, you can get it from Mofoco:
http://www.mofoco.com/item/EMPI_16_8964 ... IA/339/c78
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Rynoth » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:36 am

I have no idea how the design works as far as the issues you describe... but I think folks who use an oil seperator are usually doing so for aerobatic (inverted) flight. In which case the oil system is effectively reversed (and effective) during sustained inverted flight, using this design. I think.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby radfordc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 am

Without an oil separator I was getting a lot of oil on the bottom of the plane.

I chose to install the oil return into one of the valve covers, but I don't think there is any problem with using the sump plate. If you were clever you could use the oil return line as the method to drain engine oil at oil changes...kill two stones with one bird.
radfordc

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:54 pm

radfordc wrote:If you were clever you could use the oil return line as the method to drain engine oil at oil changes...kill two stones with one bird.

That's what I do!!! :)
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Darick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:50 am

Sounds like a good idea. After all, a bird in the hand is worth two in the sump.
Darick
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby kmacht » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:39 am

If you are planning on using the machined sump plate I would sugest test fitting it to your case before you assemble your engine. The studs on the bottom of my case did not stick out far enough for the nuts to grab when using the thicker machined plate insteaed of the thinner stamped plate. You can put longer studs in the case if needed but once it is assembled you can't get to the one stud that holds the oil pickup tube down.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Darick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks Keith, I will make note of that.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby mike.smith » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 pm

kmacht wrote:If you are planning on using the machined sump plate I would sugest test fitting it to your case before you assemble your engine. The studs on the bottom of my case did not stick out far enough for the nuts to grab when using the thicker machined plate insteaed of the thinner stamped plate. You can put longer studs in the case if needed but once it is assembled you can't get to the one stud that holds the oil pickup tube down.

Keith

I bought my engine much later than Keith, in Oct of 2012. My machined sump plate fit fine.

Mike
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Aerovee