Aerovee intake metal or paper gasket vs. RTV

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Aerovee intake metal or paper gasket vs. RTV

Postby 4redwings » Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:40 pm

Onex 0036, fourth owner. I took my intake elbows off and saw they had thin metal gaskets under them. The aerovee assembly manual says use RTV. Paper gaskets seem common for Type 1 engines on cars. And then there is talk of spacers. No idea what would be best and it's time to reassemble so any comments will be appreciated.

John
John Hawkins
Onex 0036, 4th owner
In transition to 912ULS
KJGG
4redwings

Re: Aerovee intake metal or paper gasket vs. RTV

Postby Kai » Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:15 pm

The thin metal ones are (were) soft compression gaskets- not very unlike the ones used on the exhaust flanges on the turbine housing of a turbo. A fitandforget solution, but you need new ones every time the headers come off. There is nothing really wrong with RTV, but it could become messy. And take care nothing squezees out over the port edges obstructing flow when you torque things up. Besides, you have some cleaning work cut out for you every time the headers need to come off. Double sided paper is fine, but make absolutely sure the fit is better than best- no edges obstructing flow! Spacers made of high temp composite are really intended as a heat insulation in those (automotive?) situations when a carb is sitting directly on top of the head- fine, I´m sure, but I´m not really convinced they are really neccessary for an aviation application.

My two bits.
Last edited by Kai on Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sonex A #0525- SG, DS.
EdgePerfomance EP915ECI, 123HP
Kai

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:48 pm

My original paper assembly manual, Rev Y dated 9/11/14, specifies Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket #3. I've been using that and it seems fine. I do have the spacers.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:31 pm

The best solvent to remove unwanted RTV is gasoline. Not a particularly friendly goop to use on an intake.

It's my opinion the stamped metal gaskets are the best because they allow heat to transfer to the intake manifolds. Any dissipation is good dissipation.

As pointed out, you will need a weeks production run of the things if you remove the intakes regularly.
Area 51%

Postby 4redwings » Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:54 am

Perfect. Thanks to all!
John Hawkins
Onex 0036, 4th owner
In transition to 912ULS
KJGG
4redwings

Return to Aerovee