Alternator / Stator Upgrade

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Alternator / Stator Upgrade

Postby Titanium Cranium » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:38 pm

My aerovee is an earlier model that was built with a 10 amp alternator (serial number 250). I need to upgrade it to the 20 amp alternator to support my Ipad and Stratus. Has anyone else here done the upgrade? If so, do you have any insight or pointers for me, especially considering I'm not the original builder?
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Re: Alternator / Stator Upgrade

Postby sonex1374 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Tom,

The 20-amp alternator parts aren't all that different than the old 10-amp ones, and should bolt right up to your engine. The most critical thing that comes to mind is to ensure that the various screws used to hold the parts in place are loctite'd properly. If any of these screws come lose they can cause damage to the alternator stator, magnets, or ignition trigger. Ensure you clean the threads of old dried loctite (chase the threads with a tap if needed), use sufficient loctite, and consider using loctite primer first to further promote the locking qualities of the product. It's easy to do this right, but worth taking a moment to double check.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: Alternator / Stator Upgrade

Postby rick9mjn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:00 pm

First off , I do know anything about your electric system on you airplane .
I think the Ipad and Stratus could be a """"very small part"""" of your electrical load .

(1) But one cheep idea is to reduce you load , by turning some thing's off, , like the nav. Lights while in the air, “but have them “”on”” at night, and a dawn and dusk, on the ground ,and in the pattern, or any other time needed with <safety> in mind . ” or some other kind of light, ,,,,,

(2)And another idea is to remove your master relay ,and to go to a “mechanical master switch”.
This is what a number's people do in the cub type of airplane's ,when they go to the light weight lithium battery under the seats. They are making the battery system simpler and lighter.
IMHO-IMBW,,,,i my humble opinion,i may be wrong
/good day / rick
rick9mjn

Return to Aerovee