service bulitin

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: service bulitin

Postby Brett » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:06 pm

I'm glad there is continuing work for a resolution but I am just completely bummed again as I was just about to get back in the air after ordering the specific oil 4 x weeks ago. The oil still hasn't arrived as it apparently was delivered to the wrong address so another batch is being sent to me due this next working week. I have just ordered the oil filter housing now with an expected delivery date of 16th Nov to Australia, so it looks like by the end it will be a full 2 x months grounded exercise. Has been a hard slog to try and fly these 40 x hours off in 1 calendar year business.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby mike.smith » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Mark Schaible touched on all the things in his October 14 post, on the Sonex Flight episode #6 ( http://www.sonexflight.com/6/ ). If you are interested in the issues you should give it a listen.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:39 am

I feel compelled to post an addendum to this line of posts. I got my turbo back from Sonex and it looked like a new unit rather than the repaired unit that I was expecting. I re-clocked it as the SB instructed and added the spin on oil filter to the system. I have flown the reinstalled turbo for 2.8 hours and everything is back to normal. I have to thank Mark, Kerry and Joe Norris for getting me through this issue with no cost to me other than time. Although it was frustrating to do the repairs this summer I'm glad they are done. Mark is the best guy that Sonex could have gotten for the job and is a true asset to the company.
I hope the turbo upgrade continues to function as it does now for a long time as it is perfect at this point. Joe and Kerry are my favorite technical guys to hang out with @ KOSH as they always have unique insights.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Brett » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:26 am

Awesome Bill, glad your back in the air :)

I've flown now for about 2 .5 hours over 3 x flights since the service bulletin and it has just been going fantastic. Since I've added all my heat shields,vents and insulation in some spots it seems reliable now and all I do is check over and put fuel it it :)
I can't help but just smile as I take off and climb out at 80-85kts @ over 1200 fpm and still know I can do better,,, I usually never go to 40" on takeoff, 35-38" is usually about all I bother with. I will have to try a 40" take off next flight just to see the climb rate. I know I have no turbo issues as I can easily go over the 40" if not careful with throttle management.
Looking forward to flying off these phase 1 hours now and getting down to Biz.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:05 am

Glad to hear it guys! I went normally aspirated for finances and to have my kids learn to fly with low power. My plan is a straight aerovee for at least 5 years of flying. Once you guys have the bugs worked out I can see upgrading later. I have been studying threads on the turbo and firewall layout so I am well setup to do so.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby intoaircooled » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm knocking on the door of Fifty hours with no turbo issues and loving the performance. I am however pulling the engine tomorrow due to an oil leak under the flywheel, replacing the magnatons and adding a smoke system to the mix. So I will be taking a close look at the turbo, adding an additional "frame" rail cooler in addition to what the service bulitin is requiring. That will add about a 1/2 quart to the oil system bring the total capacity to 5 quarts.
Carl Benda
A&P
Intoaircooled Engines
Barn find Sonex 048 AeroVee 2.1 Turbo
intoaircooled

Postby Brett » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:04 am

Hi Carl, Super keen to hear where you plan to add the smoke oil tank. I am really keen to add a smoke kit also and very soon too.

-Brett
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby markschaible » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 am

Hello SonexBuilders.net,

Yesterday, December 8th, we posted Revision B to AeroVee Turbo service bulletin ACV-SB-091616-1. The service bulletin has been emailed to all AeroVee Turbo customers, and can be viewed online at: http://www.aeroconversions.com/support/aerovee_sb.html

Changes with this revision:
  • Added: Item 6, Paragraph 2: Optional Part ACV-T05-73
  • Added: Item 7. Turbo Shroud
  • Added: Alternate Cause Theory and Optional Service Procedures
  • Added: *New Parts from Sonex Aircraft
  • Consolidated all revisions into single contiguous document
  • Added: Service Bulletin Revision Log
If you own an AeroVee Turbo engine and have further questions about this service bulletin update, please email: tech@aeroconversions.com

Best Regards to All,
-Mark
--
Mark Schaible
General Manager
Sonex Aircraft, LLC
phone: 920-231-8297
fax: 920-426-8333
http://www.SonexAircraft.com
http://www.AeroConversions.com

Sales Info: sales@sonexaircraft.com
Orders: orders@sonexaircraft.com
Accounting: accounting@sonexaircraft.com
Tech Support: tech@sonexaircraft.com

Build a Sonex Aircraft in Your School!
Check out the Sonex Education Initiative: http://education.sonexaircraft.com/
markschaible

Postby wlarson861 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:58 am

I read the recent updated service bulletin on the turbo. I may have missed something so I'm throwing this out to the group and or Sonex. I saw the photo of the machined turbo oil sump and that it is available for $39.95. No info has been stated as to what it does or why I might want one. I may have missed something but can any one fill me in. I suspect it is to allow the oil to drain from the bearings post shut down but it could for another purpose. Any input?
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby NWade » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:36 am

wlarson861 wrote:I read the recent updated service bulletin on the turbo. I may have missed something so I'm throwing this out to the group and or Sonex. I saw the photo of the machined turbo oil sump and that it is available for $39.95. No info has been stated as to what it does or why I might want one. I may have missed something but can any one fill me in. I suspect it is to allow the oil to drain from the bearings post shut down but it could for another purpose. Any input?

Bill - My understanding is that it's an improvement over the machined plate that fits to the bottom of the Turbo. In revision A of the bulletin, Sonex thought that overheated "coked" oil was a problem and identified the drain plate as a potential area where the oil could sit and get heat-soaked after shutdown, because the threaded insert for the oil return line can stick up above the plate and essentially create a donut-shaped bowl that's a few fractions of an inch deep, for oil to sit in and not drain (adjacent to the rocket-hot turbo components). Rev A instructed owners to cut the threaded connector down flush with the plate, to eliminate this pooling area. That appears to still be an OK fix as far as the factory is concerned, but in the future they're doing away with the flat plate altogether and going with the sump as standard equipment. My interpretation is that the sump helps drain oil immediately away from the turbo and to a slightly cooler area; so even if it does pool some in the sump it's not in danger of coking. Also, it's easier for Sonex to provide the sump to new builders than it is to try to explain to them how to mod the drain plate. Since the sump isn't considered mandatory for people who've modded their turbo drain plate, it's being sold as an optional item.

Hope this helps!

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee