Removing head only

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Removing head only

Postby kmwoody » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Does anyone have a simple way to keep the cylinders secure when removing a head. I have to an exhaust valve leak on #3 and need to remove the head. I want to be sure the cylinders stay seated in the case. I have, in the past, secured the barrels with an intricate crisscrossing of wires, which was probably overkill, which worked fine. I am asking for a simple, sure way that others have used. Maybe the best way would be to have an extra pair of hands.

Thanks,

Ken W
Sonex 959
Aerovee 299 hrs
kmwoody

Re: Removing head only

Postby vwglenn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:41 am

I wouldn't be concerned they might come loose as long as they didn't slide completely off the piston.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby kmwoody » Fri May 01, 2015 2:15 am

I am concerned adout breaking the silicon seal between the case and cylinder. I think loosening the head nuts so the head can move but not fall and prying lightly between both cylinders and the head at the same time should do it. I don't expect it will take much pressure.

Ken W
kmwoody

Postby vwglenn » Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am

I don't think it'll take much pressure either. There's a possibility just putting the side loads on the jugs as you wiggle the head off will at least partially break that seal. If you're that concerned about it, why not just use that and an opportunity to clean it up an reseal it while you already have the head off?
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Return to Aerovee