Oil leaks

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Oil leaks

Postby Gripdana » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:00 pm

I have found some strange oil spots. I have the top mounted oil cooler and have one small leak at the rear right pushrod tube and I found oil blown onto the fuel filler neck. It is only a few drops. I think it is being blown through the oil cooler from the oil check dipstick. My dipstick just sits over the neck. It does not fit tight at all. There is no indication of leaking anywhere on the top of the engine or the oil cooler. Has anyone else seen a leak like this. Also I put in a little more than 2.75 quarts on the last oil change. But it was less than 3 quarts. That said I have the Sonex oil separator and the return line is connected to the sump plate. So some of the oil goes I to the return hose.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Re: Oil leaks

Postby radfordc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:09 pm

If there is any back pressure at all inside the crankcase oil will blow out around the crankshaft at the prop hub. I once made the mistake of using too small a breather line and I had oil every where.
radfordc

Postby Gripdana » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Im not getting anything out of the prop hub. I used the recommended hoses and fittings for the breather. I will keep an eye and take a better look at the prop hub.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby GWMotley » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Some of us go so far as to install breather vents in the valve covers and plum them to the bottom of the cowl just as with the the crank case breather.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Return to Aerovee