Oil Temp Sender Location

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Oil Temp Sender Location

Postby Stogie6 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Got a quick question for the group today. A little background first: Bought an Aerovee 2.0 engine that was already built. I have since performed all service bulletins and have made modifications to the oil sump (perm. oil filter kit) and the oil cooler on top. The old oil sump had a location for the oil temp sender. But since the upgrade, where does the unit get mounted? Does it go on the front of the block under the No. 2 cylinder at that block off plate? The block off plate on my engine has a little rubber nib covering a fitting in the middle of the plate. The hole in the block is not big enough to attache the oil temp sender.
Your comments are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Re: Oil Temp Sender Location

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:35 pm

I put my oil temperature sender on the front block off plate on my engine. The Aerovee 2.1 manual describes what size tap to use for the oil temperature sender. The tap is an M14 X 1.5. They reference this plate as the Oil Temperature Plate, under the number two cylinder. It is ACV-P01-12.

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby GWMotley » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:15 pm

I recently rebuild a VW engine. My oil temp was originally the sump drain plug. On this build, I tapped a 1/8 NPT straight into the case side at the rear of the engine and screwed the new sender into the case. It may sound a little scary but I think my temps are much more accurate as the probe is not exposed to the cold cowl air inlets as before.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby Stogie6 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Problem solved. Thanks for the direction. I get to go buy new tools for the task!
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Return to Aerovee